Please advise between Botox vs LIS surgery. I have had an anal fissure since 3 years.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been suffering from anal fissure since almost 3 years now. It had almost healed at one point but it started hurting badly again. I went on a soft food diet and added lot of liquids in my diet along with 300 mg of Colace every day. But it resulted into loss of weight and went down from 125 pounds to 95 pounds. Though I am at 108 pounds now.

As a result in the last 6 months I have started eating much more to gain some weight as loss of weight was leading to lot of fatigue. But since I have been eating more I am getting BM at least twice in the morning. Earlier I had BM only once. I am trying to avoid gassy foods but I do experience gas in the BM as well which is very painful. For the last 6 months also since the fissure has been there for a long time now, i have started getting severe muscle spasms in that area as well.

Earlier my pain used to start 15 - 20 mins after BM and used to last for a few hours. For the last 6 months it has been lasting for the entire day.

The doctor who was working with me on this has retired and I am seeing a new doctor for the last few months now. She has suggested me to get either get Botox or LIS done. I had a rectal exam last week and my pain has surged and is totally unbearable even though I am taking muscle relaxants.

I have read about the side effects and I am somewhat concerned about LIS but at the same time very few of you on the blog here have had success with Botox.

I have a few questions as I have to decide between Botox vs LIS in a day or two.

What would you suggest - Botox or LIS?

How much time does it take to start getting relief after Botox?

I know it takes 6 to 8 weeks after LIS to completely heal but is there any immediate relief that you have experienced after LIS?

After Botox and LIS does it hurt if someone has gas?

Is it important to have the scar tissue and skin tags removed during Botox or LIS? My doctor hasn't mentioned so but I read that some of you had Botox and your doctor removed the scar tissue.

For those of you who did LIS, does the incision in the muscle heal? I mean the cut that is made in the muscle to divide it, does that cut in the muscle heal. I am asking because I did read that a few of you had to the surgery multiple times? Does it mean that everytime a new incision is made in a new place in the muscle. So will the muscle have 3 cuts in it permanently if someone were to get a surgery 3 times.

Finally does the muscle become weak in the long run after LIS?

Thanks.

SK

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

hello

tried the cream and then botox but nothing work.

Pain after bm was intense and lasted hours.

Had nothing to lose, went for.Lis.

Process was painless as I was asleep for the 20 minutes it took.

Some discomfort for the first week but not any worse than before.

Lots of hot bath, liquids, fibre, soups.....

Did.not take any meds after surgery.

Took vitamins and did oatmeat every am.

No alcohol or spicy food.

overall, Lis has reduced my pain drastically and allowed fissure to heal but it took a while.

Reducing the pain was key for.me as it was unbearable.

No complications after the Lis, if you are struggling consider the Lis.

Do some research and find a surgeon that did many before.

Best of luck and tey to visualise a positive outcome.

G

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have severe muscle spasms there as well since I have had the fissure for 3 years now due to which I am unable to walk or even lie down straight. Sitting is out of question. Did you have any muscle spasms in the anus area due to the fissure? If you did, within how many days did you start getting relief from the spasms. It seems for the whole thing to heal it can take 4 to 8 weeks depending on the health of the individual but did you see any immediate relief from spasms if you had any.

Also did the Botox help at all?

Thank you.

• Edited

hello

unfortunately botox did not work for me.

Yes the severe spasm after bm for hours were just to much.

Psychological fear was starting to get the best of me.

Family doctor minimize it all.

Procedure was easier than anticipated.

Spasm were reduce to almost nothing.

Aside from post operative swelling for about one week, the healing process began. Much less pain almost immediately. Lots of hot baths for comfort and proper diet which I enjoy now.

You can do this....it is a journey that is quite challenging.

I found some strength in positive meditation, read some great inspiration in books on how the mind can heal the body.

Stay strong....

GL

• Posted

Thank you again for your reply. So it seems you had to do the surgery. You mentioned that spasms were reduced to almost nothing. Did you see immediate relief with spasms or did it take a few weeks?

Thank you.

• Posted

3 to 4 days.

swelling has to come down first.

• Edited

I'm about 8 weeks post botox and unfortunately done nothing for me, I will be trying some fasting this week, after that, LIS is the only option. To be honest even with the risk life is just not possible at the moment. If fasting doesn't work then I have no choice, not living with this any longer. If its an option i would try botox first though, as some people it helps.

• Edited

tried botox twice. failed the first time. 2nd time it only healed an acute fissure (that wasn't deep and only months old) but did nothing for my deep several years old chronic fissure...

so ended up getting LIS and that worked for me.

LIS has 95% success rate.

Botox only has 60% success rate

since yours is chronic, would recommend you get LIS

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have severe muscle spasms there as well since I have had the fissure for 3 years now due to which I am unable to walk or even lie down straight. Sitting is out of question. Did you have any muscle spasms in the anus area due to the fissure? If you did, within how many days did you start getting relief from the spasms. It seems for the whole thing to heal it can take 4 to 8 weeks after LIS depending on the health of the individual but did you see any immediate relief from spasms if you had any.

Also when you did the Botox the second time that healed an acute fissure, how soon did you start seeing relief? And how long did you wait to get the LIS after the second Botox?

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.