Please advise - Ice Skating Accident - Maisonerve Fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

I fell on the ice whilst skating, I am 46 yrs old. I fractured my ankle and the top of my tibia, I was told it was a maisonnerve fracture and typical with sports, this was on the 25.11.16 , I had surgery on the 27.11.16 and have 3 screws holding my ankle in place.

6 weeks on I am just starting to weight bear with the use of crutches. I am unable to put any real weight on my foot without the boot I have been supplied with but walk fairly well with it.

My next follow up at the fracture is on the 24.1.16

I am interested to know when I will be able to drive again (automatic). Will I make a full recovery? Anything else I need to know will be helpful.

Thanks

Howard

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi:  I don't know if this will help but I had a torn tendon in my ankle. Had major surgery November 9. SIx weeks out I was in a boot, full weight bearing and driving. This is my right foot and I simply remove the boot to drive.  Ask your surgeon or Physical Therapist about this. I would think it depends on your range of motion with your boot off.  Knowledge is power so once you know your timeline or point of healing when you are allowed to drive, you will have something to look forward to. 

• Posted

Hiya, I am not allowed to drive until I do not the the boot. My surgery and injury sounds very different yours.

Roll on getting back to normal again.

• Posted

Hello i had surgery.on 11/11/16 and I am now full weight bearing with the boot. This is my last month with boot. However I can drive but I have too wear a driving ankle boot

Prescribed from my dr...just ask and he will provide u one

I am also doing physical therapy 3 x times a week. Hope u feel better soon. I'm finally starting too get my life back in order.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.