Please advise (knee injury) .

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Folks,

I am 42 years old and a soccer player. I played all my life (pro and semi-pro). I hurt my right knee one month back. I had the impression that it lightly dislocated. I limped for 2 weeks with a swelling on the knee. After three weeks, I started to run and to strengthen my legs with weight training. That went well.

Today I played soccer a little bit and during an "inside" dribble, I felt my knee is slighthly dislocated. I had to stop cause of a little pain. A little after a stretching and massage everything returns to order. I ran just after to check, no pain.

I feel that when I am running with my legs totaly "straight" and no lateral movement, I am good but if I make a specific movement (lateral, inside, ...), something is going wrong with the knee.

I do not know what to do. Is it an ACL ? Meniscus issue ? The sport is a very important thing for me.

If you have suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Abel

My suggestion is to get to an orthopedic doctor and have it checked out, x-ray and maybe MRI. Knees are so important, and I hope that your injury is minor.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks a lot. 

I am wondering if I should I start with an x-ray or the MRI. Both ? I read different information on the subject.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Doctors usually start with the x-ray, at least that's been my experience. For one thing, it's less costly. A lot less time involved, too. The MRI can take 20 to 30 minutes.
    • Posted

Trays for bone....mri, soft tissue. Due to cost, x rays are generally the 1st thing unless there is an obvious tear.
  • Posted

Ok. X-Ray first. 

Thanks.

• Posted

able i think its time maybe to consider stepping back from  soccer !!! i know sorry that is not what you want to hear ,but your pushing on in terms of playing a high tempo game .my husband some years ago had a simular problem with dislocating his shoulder it was his second time doing it he was 38 at the time ,it was give it up or if it happened again it was going to end up with surgery plus he would end up being out of work which was the deciding factor .first go and get it checked out and maybe looking at other sports non contact would be best good luck to you
  • Posted

Thanks a lot for your comment. Stopping to play is an option but it would be the worst for me. I need to play it is vital for my mind, my health, ...

Games I play now are now that intense. I am a soccer coach as well I need to demonstrate what I am teaching.

I hope I will be able to play again.

• Posted

Think of the future........you certainly don't want to be an early age permanent cripple and continuing at your level can cause that to happen. I was a low handicap golfer and planning on enjoying the game well into my retirement. 4 months before I retired a rare tumor literally blew up in my knee. 13 years and 11 surgeries later my new set of clubs still sit in the corner collecting dust. For the 1st few years I would have given anything to play but the pain was just too unbearable, now I still haven't given up hope but I don't greive over it. I have learned to substitute but not quit. Sometimes we have to take a step back and reasses our situation. Its going to be up to you, a long productive life or a short term desire. Good luck
  • Posted

Yes, see an orthopedic doctor.  If it is a good one, they can sometimes even tell from your symptoms and issues. I know in my case (two knees both turned out to have torn meniscus, one rather severe) I knew something was wrong but not exactly what.  Saw two different orthopedic drs. and the second one figured out from a lengthy discussion and exam.  Quick knee arthroscopies and fixed both easily. I would get in and see what they can find out for you. Good luck! 
  • Posted

Hi,I was similar to yourself. I went to AnE after my knee painfully popped and locked. I got sent home with crutches and was told I'd get an appointment for orthapedics 2 weeks later. At orthapedics app I was told I had a medial meniscus tear. Knee was still locked. Went back and saw same person in orthapedics and again still locked but told to give it time!! I spent 11 weeks on crutches and because of that had problems with good knee which is still ongoing. I was so fed up being in pain,off work and struggling with two small children I paid private to see a consultant. He ordered an MRI of both knees and I go for my results in a few days. He said I will need surgery to clean up cartilage that's lockedbkee. I was treat by NHS disgracefully. Other people have gone in same as me,been kept in for surgery and back to work in couple of weeks. Bi have been very unlucky and will definitely putting in a complaint about this. Please please go and see a professional and get the right treatment. Our knees are important. My whole family especially my kids have suffered with a crippled mummy for nearly four months through hospital neglect. Don't be another victim!!!!!
  • Posted

Oldfatguy1, Artfingers, Murphy21,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Murphy21 I am sorry to hear what happened to you.

You are right at least I need to see a doctor but...again...very hard to stop playing. I was thinking to consult a (good) orthopedic doctor. I already saw one about 5 years ago. He have given me special soles which I think had not helped at all...

I have played yesterday. No issue... The pain is really coming during a specific gesture/movement.

I know my knees are more sollicitated (I gained weight since I stopped playing intensively, less muscle, ...).

• Posted

Hi abel18526, I wish you lots of luck. Hope you get the treatment your knees deserve as wouldn't like anyone to have to suffer like I am. If I had been diagnosed and dealt with correctly I wouldn't be in this sorry state!!! Best wishes,take care x
  • Posted

hi abel18526 if dont go away completey your body is telling you there is some thing wrong with it and you must listen and do something about it.I am 61 year old or young depends on the day lol but seriously i hurt my knees several times in sport in the real younger days and know had one tkr and the 2nd in january believe me it is not what you want at all. So get to the ortho and let him decide even 2nd opinion would not be bad but please soccer good game nicer now to look at and get an asisting coach to help you out  regards Daniel61 south africa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.