Please anyone??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so I have been on 10 mg citalopram for almost 2 yrs....I decided to come off it due to several side effects.

So I lowered it to 5 mg (Dr said to just stop as only 10 mg) I stayed on that dose for about 6/7 weeks and decided to take 2.5 mg for a week then stop.

Well I stopped about 4 days ago and im not gd at all.....my anxiety is through the roof, im crying, I feel really low, I have a knot in my stomach, im getting really vivid dreams which are waking me every hr too.

Im actually scared about how bad I feel..... Cant get an Appt with the psychiatrist until 9 th March so came here to see what peoples thoughts are.

Is it possible to get withdrawal even after tapering so slowly?? Or is this the awful anxiety and depression bck??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, everyone is different. I came off citalopram 6 years ago after being on it 18 months and was ok. Yet after 2 years my anxiety came back so went back on it and was on it for 4 years 20mg and when I came off it I was awful...crying, really low mood, anxiety through the roof, electric shock sensations, sleep problems. It was really bad.

Anyway I'm now back on it...started at 10mg and upped to 20 after 4 weeks. Side effects were really bad going back on them and the increase and I'm still struggling now after being back on it 9 weeks. Maybe 20 just isn't working for me anymore.

Have u had any cbt or counciling?

If it's only been 4 days it could be your brain adjusting to not having the med. did u notice any difference when u dropped down? X

• Posted

When I lowered to 5 mg I noticd an increase in anxiety, very vivid dreams affecting my sleep.

The anxiety is awful tho which is why im assuming its withdrawal. I did read that withdrawal anxiety affects you within days of stopping where as a return of your anxiety is delayed.

Ive had to take 5 mg this morning. I cant tolerate how bad I actually feel! Feel like I cant leave the house!

• Posted

I'm so sorry you feel that way. My anxiety has been so bad the last few days I thought I was dying. Thought it could be due to a brand change.

What physical symptoms are you having with your anxiety? X

• Posted

Ive heard that brand changes can cause problems.

Physical symptoms im getting are nausea, dodgy tummy, knotty feeling in my stomach, dizzy,a bit shaky, im a bit agitated too! X

• Posted

It's anxiety but not sure if it's due to your body adjusting or return of anxiety. It's hard to tell. Have 10mg always helped your anxiety?

What side effects were u having that made you want to come off them? I would have thought after 2 years the side effects wouldn't be there x

• Posted

I tried 20 mg for about 4 months too but I just felt completely out of it all the time.

I still had it on 10 mg although not quite as bad. My anxiety has been bqd the whole time ive been on it but it helped my depression

• Posted

Maybe you should try a different medication. Ask your GP about propranalol to help with the anxiety. Has the anxiety got worse then since stopping?

U said u still had anxiety on the tablets....now you've stopped has it increased? Iv found this time that it's helped my depression but my anxiety is just awful, I have a good few days then dip dramatically then have a good couple of days after a few weeks then dip again x

• Posted

Hello Alison81137,

I currently just stopped cit to! After being on this medication for a little over a year like you said the side effects are bad for me to. Since I have been on this medication I have been so tired and have no energy. Unable to concentrate, and my memory is gone. I can't remember anything! Even what I did yesterday seems foggy and I have to really think about it to figure out what I did. Although it did help my anxiety, it worsened my depression. That I only had slightly.

After coming off these meds , I have a constant nauseous feeling. Horrible dizzy spells , like I'm always dizzy! Very bad vivid night terrors. I can hardly sleep anymore compared to when I was on the meds I slept nonstop. My anxiety has came back, but I can most of the time talk myself out of the anxiety attacks. Oh and I have really bad headaches !

I guess we just really have to focus on getting better and hope that we do! Hopefully soon the side effects ware off and we get better. I'm sorry your going threw this! I completely understand your pain!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.