Please can someone help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Long post coming! In August last year I experienced a sudden shooting pain up the back of my skull. After this I continued to experience stabbing pains in my head. The next few days I also began with neck, upper back/chest and shoulder pain. I then began with muscle cramps in random places in my body accompanied with stabbing pains and muscle twitching. All these symptoms have been going on in varying severity for almost 6 months. I've had blood work done-all clear. Brain MRI with contrast-clear. EEG-awaiting results. Seen a Neuro who doesn't think it's neurological following examination. Seen two physios (one nhs and one private). Having an MRI on neck to look for disc damage/hernia. Does this sound like a disc problem? I'm absolutely terrified there's something awful wrong with me and no one so far knows what it is. I am only 24 and otherwise healthy. Please help. Thank you.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Oh goodness I'm so sorry to hear this awful time you have been having since August, just wanted you to know I was thinking about you when I read your post. I have been bothered with some lower back pain for the last 18 months but been very lucky in that I've still been able to be mobile and the MRI has only shown a minor disc bulge for me, but has still got me so down at times and I do empathise because back pain really is such an awful thing physically and mentally.

I'm afraid I'm no medical expert in terms of what it could be, I just hope and pray that they can get to the bottom of it for you Sarah and that you can be pain free and feeling much better soon. I know it might be different to what you're going through, but when I had sciatica one thing that really helped me was an alternative therapy called Bowen Therapy. It is a very natural, safe and non-evasive therapy, much less so than physio / osteopath. It can help with all sorts of aches, pains and symptoms, I've been getting it for about 10 years and have always found it very helpful, it may be worth looking into seeing if there is someone locally who practices it and could be worth a try.

A good book about back pain that was recommended to me by my osteopath is 'Back Pain Decoded' by Robert Shanks, think you can get a black and white version on Amazon for about £20 (UK money). It's different from many other back books in that it gives advice on some different practical advice, tools and devices that can be used to help with back and neck pain.

Hang in there Sarah - I'm a believer in God and believe He's going to get you through this and well again, I will keep you in my prayers. Just hoping and praying things get much better soon and remember just take things at the pace that's right for you right now and look after yourself.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words and advice, I will look into purchasing the book you mention above! Take care.

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, really hoping that the MRI results can provide some reassurance and hope and put your mind at rest. I know so much it can be a very agonising and anxious time that period when you are waiting for test results.

Hoping too that maybe some Vitamin D supplements that help too, I take a 25 mcg (1000 IU) Vitamin D tablet per day, I find it helpful indeed.

Do let us know how things go with your results Sarah and hoping and praying for healing for your neck and back and all the associated symptoms. God is the great healer let's keep trusting in Him.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Sorry you are so low & that your body is in trauma...

I’ll give you the low down on me, so that you will hopefully see something to benchmark your progress/ how you wish to tailor your outlook:

My body’s damage was done at 12 -14 years of age, I finally identified what the issues were @21 after severe headaches & my leg regular keep giving way while fighting in the martial art of Aikido: Fractured neck C1 vertebra, prolapsed disc at L4/5, I am now 53 & have live through some of what you are experiencing.

1st off, please try not to make 2+2= 5 or see everything as a negative darkness around you.

(I know this is hard, that you are frightened & that you fear that your body is becoming unstable.)

At the moment you are in the evidence gathering period, things may be bad, things may be not so bad, & it is just that you are more sensitive to the specific trauma your body is going through.

(E.g. family genetics has given me a very high pain threshold, but I also have a very narrow space between my spinal cord & vertebra, so I am impacted by the slightest miss alignment in my spine.)

This is just a part of your life journey, everyone has to go through this at some time as they age, it is just you are getting it earlier than most, take some time to be p*ss off at that, & then let it go…

‘It was it is’ & you can’t change it, when you are ready begin putting your emotional & physical energy into positively working with your body, not negatively fighting against it.

In getting trauma issues earlier in life there is also a benefit; you are young enough to change your lifestyle & heal better than you would at say 55- 60, this means you can potentially minimise things like e.g. soft tissue scarring & arthritis.

You wouldn’t drive your car without oil, without a service or MOT, & you can buy a new car.

Your body is the same, except you can’t buy a new one!

So think of food as the oil, buy balance fuel for your body, servicing is the exercise you do to get that body to work as smoothly as possible & the MOT is the medical checks/ little improvements you add to aid in your quality of life.

Your future is not over, potentially it’s just going to be different, open your mind, engage & live life to the full sweetheart, leave the despair & low moods to old men who have no option to change. 

Love & luck to you & yours

Steve

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I had an Mri on my neck last week and am currently waiting on results. I'm convinced it's something neck/upper spine related as if I sleep curled up or do a lot of bending forward at work my symptoms flare up especially the muscle twitching and stiff aching neck/upper back/shoulder muscles. I'm hoping to get some answers soon. I take good care of my body, I am low in vitamin D which does not help aching joints but otherwise I am very healthy. Take care and thank you once again for your reply and sharing your experience.

• Posted

I had some simular pains to urs in the end I had c5 c6 c7 disc replaced with spaces plates cages. the pain in the head are gone still have a few problem.

u must carry on don't give up.

• Posted

Hi Aikironin and Keith,

It really sounds like you have both been through some really hard times with your back / neck pains, I just really hope and pray that this can be a much better year for both of you and praying for God's healing in your life and circumstances. Pain is just the worst thing and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Mindfulness is something I've been trying lately to help with just my mental health as much as anything, something that can be helpful for pain too. The Bowen Therapy I mentioned in the post to Sarah also something maybe worth looking into - I know it's for different issues but I really found it to help bring tremendous healing when I had a nasty bout of sciatica.

Believing that God is the great physician and that there is always hope - thinking about you will say a prayer for your healing. Hoping for a good and settled weekend ahead for you both, and remember hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am currently awaiting results from my neck mri scan. Thank you for sharing your experience and take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.