Please do not take tramadol without researching.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am new to this site but found the discussions on tramadol very interesting. I wont be the first to say this but there really needs to be tighter control and restrictions on the prescribing of tramadol. I am 43 years old and suffered from pain since the age of 14 due to a spinal disease. from that early age I have taken many pain killers including tramadol. It is only as a adult I can look back and see the damage it caused, at times as teenager and in my early 20's I thought I had some physiological illness but no it was the tramadol. It cost me my relationships, inability to hold down a job and many more things I could list.  I stopped taking tramadol from the age of 25 and had to make do with other non addictive pain killers and alternative therapy's, this seemed to be the best path for me and worked until I reached my late 30's.  My spine ages every year at an alarming rate. Now into my 40's my spine as a age of that of a 70 year old so as you can guess the only pain killer that can touch the pain is now tramadol and morphine. As I work full time I need to control my pain otherwise I would have no life and to say I love my job is an understatement. I am lucky to have a fantastic job that keeps me sane at times. I am now on tramadol and have been for some years, I did not take this decision lightly. It was talked through with my GP and extremely caring and supportive husband, as I will probably never be able to come of this I don't have to think about the withdrawal which as people state on this forum is a fate worse than anything you can imagine. In the past I have found myself not having much passion for drug abusers, or should I say the "type" I had in my head!!! sleeping rough, stealing for next fix. I find that difficult to admit but that was me at one point however as I look in the mirror I am also that drug abuser or should I say was that drug abuser in the past as I also used the drug for the highs and feeling of happiness. We come in all shapes and forms and it is nothing to be ashamed of, just some of us function better than others.

I guess my discussion was a bit of a mixed bag but I think what I am trying to say explained fully and used correctly this can be a wonder drug but abused it can be the worst thing you can enter in too.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

HI I could not agree with more you are absolutely right I been on tramadol my self for a Long time for chronic pain and is the only pain killer that Relief my pain make me field more active as well on  the and of day all tablet are drag so we have to take the ones that relief pain it dust not matter what are they like you say as long we take them as this crab bay the doctor I don't understand why people say this tablet a running there life but they don't say in what way if any body taking table for chronic pain that mints we have to taking them for the Rest of aura life is like I am taking tablet for my cholesterol one a day and this tablet now I have to take them for the Rest of my life so their you are I thing that tramadol are very good for pain Relief and less they give you saes effect because I thing ant tablet you take for long time you be cam Ana diction to them,

?I do agreed with on what you say on the and of you comment:

I guess my discussion was a bit of a mixed bag but I think what I am trying to say explained fully and used correctly this can be a wonder drug but abused it can be the worst thing you can enter in too. Let me know what you thing of it Regards             

• Posted

I was on Tramadol for 5 years for Fibromyalgia. I couldn’t believe how well they worked and I was able to go back to work and felt I had my life back! But, as time went on I reached tolerance and went into tolerance withdrawals and was at maximum dose. They no longer worked and the tolerance withdrawals were getting worst, so I tried to get off them. Well, it took me two years of trying doing a slow taper and even then it was the worst thing I have ever experienced. The withdrawal symptoms were horrendous, to long to list here! I was bed ridden for the first four months and even though it has been 24 months off this drug, I am still suffering waves of symptoms. 

These meds act on the neurotransmitters the same as antidepressants and the withdrawal symptoms were the same as what many described coming of ADs and benzodiazepines.

Doctors have no idea about these meds and it was only during research that I have found out what these meds do and how many people are suffering and not being able to get off them.

i do hope you don’t reach tolerance like so many have!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.