Please explain. Giving myself more anxiety here...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ok, so I've been reading on different websites "googling"...yes I know I shouldn't be doing this but I want answers as to why I'm feeling this way. Again, I'm 31 and think hormone imbalances are to blame. I still don't know if I'm perimenopausal, have a thyroid problem or what. However, certain websites are saying women with hormone imbalances are pretty much doing it to themselves. Meaning they aren't eating the right foods, getting enough quality sleep, excercising and have chronic stress. That doesn't make sense to me. So people are creating their thyroid problems or hormone imbalances? Or am I reading into it wrong?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Valarie,

I think that most people are doing the best that they can with the lives that they're given.

Every day women live with chronic stress. They work outside the home, they have kids, they deal with endless housework and lazy husbands. They get lots of advice, including "quit your job and find one that pays more money and is less stressful!"  or "get your husband to help with the housework!" But, no direct help.

In times past, men wore out their wives with constant pregnancies and hard labor.  When their wives died, they went out and married again. This situation is nothing new....

Yes, I agree that things could be improved. But all you can do is the best you can do. See if a doctor can help you determine what's gong on with you. Change what you can change to make things better for yourself, and live your life.  xx 

• Posted

Those are the author' opinions and theories. There's no research to back up their statements. If there is, why aren't doctors warning women? I can believe that not eating healthy food, not getting quality sleep, not exercising, and too much stress can make women, and men, feel like crap, but it isn't known what causes some women to go into perimenopause earlier or later or have imbalances or thyroid disease.

• Posted

Although I agree that caution is needed when it come to 'Dr Google' I can tell you from experience that the reason the doctors don't 'warn' women is they themselves don't know!

A lot of research into 'alternative' treatments and nutrition IS going on. BUT there is no money for conventional pharma in real food and old-fashioned 'remedies', so they won't put money into research.

My own doctor told me 'we don't test for Vit D deficiency, because it is assumed everyone here is deficient.' She then totally amazed me by adding 'and we are only just beginning to understand how important it is.' (!)

• Posted

Valerie, the writer sounds ignorant and wrong. Thyroid issues stem from lack of iodine in your diet. This is not an illness due to mentally wishing it or psychologically trying to manifest it. Hormone fluctuations come from a host of factors, including diet and exercise but also family history. It also doesn't help that our tap water is contaminated with hormone disrupting chemicals and that soy, found in many processed snacks, causes hormonal disruption as well. Yet, eating yams helps in balancing your hormones as well as eating healthy and at least 20 minutes of exercise daily even if it means walking around the block a few times.

• Posted

I have thyroid disease, Hashimoto's, and it's an auto-immune disease. It's not from a lack of iodine in my diet. No research has identified what causes it, although there are theories. There is a theory, suggested (not proven) by research, that too much iodine can trigger it. 

• Posted

Hi, Emmy, I also have Hashimoto's. My doctor said it was probably caused by chronic stress.  Lots of women, especially in the US, have it.  She also said that because I had it, I might develope other autoimmune syndromes. Did your doctor say the same?  Just wondering.

• Posted

Hi Lynda. No, my doctor and endocrinologist haven't told me that. I'll ask next Monday though when I see my endo. I hope not! I can say that I've had Hashimoto's for 25 years and don't have any other autoimmune syndromes yet. Fingers crossed. 

• Posted

Hi, Emmy.  For me it's been about 27.  My GP didn't diagnose me--never did a thyroid count.  I was sick for 2 years.  I got diagnosed when my periods stopped completely.  I went to a gyn and she sent me to an endo.  Unfortunately, by that time, I was in menopause. Generally, if my thyroid's properly regulated, I do pretty well. I did ask why it happened, and my endo said, "You know, we just don't know."  I was satisfied with that. smile  

• Posted

Hi Lynda, so just to clarify she said it was "probably" caused by stress?

• Posted

Yes, she did. I got my BA in sociology, and experiments have shown that when mice and rats are confined in stressful conditions, i.e., overcrowding, random painful stimuli and little food, among other conditions, they develop various illnesses, including auto immune disorders.  That's what I recal  

• Posted

Hi, we all have to do the best for ourselves...some of us can't afford to eat properly further more eat well during the menopause

in our mothers time people did nothing and went through it natural and got through it...and when it comes to stress that can't be help we are living in a stressful world it can be difficult not to worry at times but all we can do is wait the menopause out it does get better with time nobody ever died from it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.