please give me some advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

I endded up at the er this moring with stomach pain and found out my gallbladder is going out and i need to make an appoinment with my doctor to have my gallbladder removed... im very worried so i wanna know how is the surgery gonna go? am i gonna be put fully out or just high dose of meds? i have herd having it removed can cause you to die is that true? will i have to eat healthy? i know its a lot of ?S but im scared to death sad cry

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike,

Had mine removed 6 weeks ago keyhole surgery. Best thing had done.

Natural to be nervous, and do nor know of anyone not making it through.Do not take everything someone says as true. You will be fine. Do avoid fatty foods and keep to low fat diet, any fatty foods can cause a flare up. Just be careful what you eat.

• Posted

Try not to worry. I'm a week and a day post op. So yes, you will be completely out, they'll give you lots of drugs so the pain will be ok the first 2 days. Then mostly just soreness. By day 3 I was eating whatever I wanted just less of it. It makes you feel full faster. You'll be just fine.d
  • Posted

Mike I just had mine out on the 11. You will need to drink a lot of water. A low fat diet. I was scared to because I have a daughter. I'm doing fine. You will be fully out for the surgery. Any other questions just ask.
  • Posted

Hi Mike

its a very common operation now as its now keyhole. You go into hospital in the morning and come home the same day. Amazing. 

If it was a risky operation it wouldn't be day surgery. 

You go under general anaesthetic but as its not a long operation they can use anaesthetic s which just last for a shorter time and then you recover from quicker. 

I was very nervous but I didn't need to be. 

You are sore afterwards as they make 3 or 4 little incisions to put their instruments inside you one of course being the camera. 

I found bupa s video animated of how keyhole gallbladder removal is done really reassuring. 

The reality is you feel really good very quickly after the operation and basically need to be tied down to stop you over doing it as for 6 weeks your healing inside and so if you lift something you ache ... 

The other thing is you feel like something rotten has gone. I got energy back and felt really well... I hadn't realised how that gallbladder had affected me. 

It will be a while for your operation so low fat food no fat no spice easily digested bland food to prevent more attacks..

youll be fine 

sally 

• Posted

Had mine removed at 29 yrs old due to stones in the bile duct.

Soon after surgery follow the diet the dr gives you.  No fatty or fried greasy foods & don't eat out for awhile. For some no dairy for awhile. U will discover other foods that upset UR tummy.

Once the gallbladder is removed there are not the same enzymes to break up certain foods . So take it easy.

To avoid stomach cramps and intestional issues stay from foods that  causes you stomach issues. Keeping a journal helps.

Eating good live bacteria like yogurt or pill form to keep the good bacteria in the stomach balanced very important.

It's not forever, but for me it took a couple years.

The surgery itself was not to difficult for me at age 29.  I have no stomach issues today that was many yrs ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.