Please give some positive support!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all i am 5 weeks in on citalopram second time (it worked really well the first time) - 3 weeks on 20mg, It has made my anxiety heaps worse and because of that im feeling heaps more depressed as well. i foolishly read several stories on here about trying sonething a second time and it not working and then trying other things and that not working either. Im really worried that im going to end up like that. i guess im just looking for some reassurance from others that have gone back on the meds that it does take longer and is harder the second time but still comes right. i am just feeling really hopeless and scared.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

3 weeks is not long enough for your mood/anxiety to change. 20mg is quite a strong dose to start with even if u have been on the meds before. u will feel better soon, just give it time. be kind to yourself xx

• Posted

sorry just re-read. u have probably upped your dose too soon but u will feel better just give it time x

• Posted

You have most likely gone too quickly to 20MG. Call your Dr. and ask about reducing the dose or how to stagger a loser dose until your brain adjusts to the serotonin increase. I began at 5MG for a couple of weeks, went to 10MG then to 15MG because I am very sensitive to drugs and need to go slowly. Don't do it without talking to your Dr. One of the side effects of this medication is increased anxiety which is usually temporary. Since you have had success with this medication in the past, it's unlikely it will cause you problems once you have adjusted to it.

• Posted

thanks guys - I did do it slowly - 2 days on 5mg, a week on 10 and then just over a week on 15 before going to 20. Now 3 weeks on 20. Psych wanted me to go to 20 as that was the dose that worked last time. I am seeing him again tomorrow and im pretty sure he will want me to go to 30.

• Posted

Hi Tamsin I'm on my second time on 20mg .I'm 6 weeks in now and starting to have some good days. The first 4 weeks wasn't the best I was having awful anxiety and bad sleep but this has got a lot better. Try not to read all the negative comments they will make you feel worse. Try and stay positive. Get well soon. Paul

• Posted

Thanks Paul - how have you managed the anxiety and the sleep? Did you go straight on to 20 or start lower?

• Posted

Hi I started straight on 20mg . I suffered the same side affects as last time so I just kept telling myself that I've been through this before and I will again. I tried staying positive which is hard with the condition we suffer with. I'm on my 6th week now and I'm starting to feel more like myself. I'd definitely give them more time. Really hope you start feeling better soon and remember your not going through this alone. Take care. Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.