PLEASE HELP!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, hope you are all in good health.

I just needed some advise as I think my partner is depressed - severely.

I've done all I can with trying to keep him postitive giving him something to look forward to everyday, and he's just so down all the time I don't know if its me or where he is working but he has told me he has suicidal thoughts and i've begged him to go to the doctors but he won't he's 'too embaressed' 

I just really need to know what to do i'm terrified i'll get home one day to find he's done something stupid.

Thanks xx

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know how much more tiptoeing around him I can do, and trying to keep him positive its physically and mentally draining to the point where i feel like i'm going to have a breakdown! 
  • Posted

If he won't go to the doctors, then why don't you go? Tell the doctor about him and hopefully he/she will have some suggestions as to what to do. Other than that could you persuade him to ring the samaritans?
    • Posted

Hi evergreen

Thank you for replying!! I never thought to go to the docs on his behalf.. he's really old fashioned and will only go to a doctor if it is super serious. 

Thank you for the advise it has really helped. 

• Posted

Hi Kirsty, if he's depressed you can't keep him positive. Please explain to him that depression is an illness like eg. diabetes, which needs medical treatment, not a failure to cope. However the biochemical imbalance starts, it won't get better on its own. He wouldn't think twice about topping up his Vitamin C, and it's the same for Serotonin. Your body needs it to function properly.

I completely understand where he's coming from as I felt the same way to start with. My first doctor's appointment was very matter of fact though, and you realise that although it feels like a big deal to you, the doctor has seen it 100s of times before. 

The good news is that it's treatable and with help he could be feeling brighter, sharper and more able to cope with problems that now seem insurmountable in as little as 10 days. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.