I ve posted on here a lot.

I started on cit 4 months ago.

10 for 1 week

20 for 1 week

30 for 6 weeks

40 for 4 weeks

30 for 4 weeks

20 for 8 days

I know my dose has moved around a lot. I felt really good till 5 weeks in to 30. Upped it after a week to 40. Had terrible side effects despite only having a few going on. Lasted 4 weeks then dropped to 30 the side effects decreased but still felt anxious and down. As I felt better earlier on I dropped to 20.

My question is can I be suffering withdrawals. I d been on 30 or more for over 3 months. I feel sick, anxious and terrible headaches. I m desperate. I spoke to my GP and she said it was unlikely and to just stick at 20. I will do this but I feel unable to cope and I have a baby. Is this cos I moved my dose around or is this just not working even though I felt great in the early days.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I have reached the end of what I can tolerate. I can t face changing med after all this but can t go on like this. If I just stay on 20 whatever may it still work. I am also on mirtazapine and diazepam.

Please give experience or advice I really need some kind of hope as I have none.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Anytime you change your dose on a SSRI you can experience side effects for 4-6 weeks! If I were you I would wait this amount of time on the 20mg then see how you feel!
    • Posted

Is what you are saying is that I am effectively starting from scratch on 20....not 4 months in ?
    • Posted

My GP says my changing dose should not be effecting me yet is not concerned about my desperate mood and says to stick with it.

I no longer trust her as that does not make sense.

• Posted

Hi sarah,

I'm certainly no expert but I understand that with every dose change, the time period for side effects starts again if that makes sense. Your body probably doesn't know whether it's coming or going. It must be so tough for you esp with having to cope with a baby but just try and hang on in there and stick it out. Give your body time to readjust and settle on 20mg and try not to overthink what's happening. It's hard not to cause I'm the expert at it believe me.

I just think your body needs time to settle down. Take it one day at a time and good luck

• Posted

Well the dose is affecting you. I started on 10mg of citalopram a year and a half ago for anxiety the first 3 months was hell anxiety got worse and all the side effects eventually leveled out. Since I still had some anxiety I increased to 15mg cause I thought it would help with the side effects it wasn't as bad but my anxiety got worse for about 3 weeks now I am doing good. Personally I don't know why you moved your dose so fast in the beginning. So yes you start from scratch so give it 4-6 weeks you will level out it will get better!!

• Posted

You have bounced about a great deal, hence all the side effects.

Stick to the 20mg dose now and accept the dose, you will have withdrawal from the 30mg although that should pass eventually.

Try not reducing or decressing remain stable until your GP advises you to reduce dose. The medication takes time to work and you need an open time period where you take the drug and live your life. 

B.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.