Please help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been suffering anxiety (which led to me feeling quite depressed) for a couple of months and after seeing the GP she put me on setraline. It didn't go well. I started feeling suicidal after a week and had to come off them- it was awful. The doctor put me on 10mg of fluoxetine (20mg every other day) and aside from a bit of insomnia and a couple of days of feeling crappy I felt better. Fast forward a month and she's put it up to 20mg daily.. A week in and I feel like s**t. It's horrible. Having horrible health anxiety about my heart (convinced I'm going to have a heart attack) and also general anxiety about everything! I'm so exhausted. It's really getting me down. The thing that worries me is my anxiety comes in episodes anyway- so is this just the illness or is it adjusting to the fluoxetine? So fed up of the physical feeling of heaviness in my chest. It's 3.32am and I'm still awake knowing I have work tomorrow. It sucks. Any advive/reassurance greatly appreciated. Amy x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Everything your saying is normal.. I posted almost the same thing just 8 weeks ago..  I too kept thinking i was in danger of a heart attack any second, my chest felt suffocated the works..  its crazy how your body can work against you but rest assured its not real!!  It took me a while to get my head round it but I did eventually convince myself that my body is just reacting to an anxiety attack and soon I was able to stay calm and I got use to the symptoms and accepted they where just temporary and would pass.. this all sounds simple and easy i know but trust me the biggest challenge you will face is beating the fear.. do this and you will thank yourself later.  I dont fear my attacks anymore and if I get one I just ride it out and within a few weeks I stopped getting them all together and 8 weeks in I'm here telling you and anyone else you needs it that it will get better and in a few weeks from now your be feeling better again if you just find the strength to fight this and know your not alone.. we are all going through this.  Come post every night your progress and your find the support will help and rest assured your symptoms are just effects of the anxiety and your body also going through some changes with the meds, think of it as the meds re-wiring your brain.. it takes a few weeks maybe a couple of months but the results will be worth it and sorry for this long message lol..

stay strong smile

• Posted

Just finished my 3rd week on 20mgs fluoxetine not real bad side effects but anxiey is worse, which is why I am on them. How many weeks in does it take the anxiety to lessen.
    • Posted

It varies, I am on day 33 of 20mg dose after stopping cold turkey back in early Feb.  From what I have read, when going BACk on it after stopping, for some reason it takes the body more time to readjust to the dosage.

And I have the anxiety as well, so you are not alone in this.

here's what I have found to lessen, but not eliminate the anxiety;

1. Chamonlie tea

2 Natural vatality calm, a magnesium supplement

3. klonopin, .5 dose but I cut it in half and take 2 hours before I retire to bed.  I use the klonopin as a last resort.

4. breathe exercises, take a deep breath hold to count of 4 let it out, do this 15-20 times often helps the anxiety pass.

From what I have read, it is normal to feel this way. katecogs has posted a lot of good information from first hand experience on this.

Hang in there, it will get better, we MUST believe that it will.

• Posted

I take 50mgs of Trazadone to help me sleep. I have Klonopin .5 which I take in the am for anxiety. I sure hope the anxiety gets better.
    • Posted

I do have some calm with magnesium. Never taken it but will now.

• Posted

Hi Amy,

Everything g4r3th said is true. So many of us have experienced the same thing and sometimes more. Don't fight or feed your panic. Let it happen, accept that it happens, try to stop fighting and fearing it. Let it come, wash over you and it will leave. What's the worse thing that can happen from a panic attack. It will NOT kill you and it WILL pass.  Stay strong and share here whenever you need some information and/or support. ????👍💪

• Posted

Hi Amy, i was on sertraline 50mg 2xdaily and had a really bad reaction to them , ending up at hospital. My anxiety was through the roof, only took them for a week. I take 20mg fluoxetine, and like others say the side effects are what you're experiencing. I've had terrible side effects, and have really struggled at times. I'm just going into week 8 and think i can see some improvement. I have been so reassured reading the posts and the replys I've had have really helped. Hope things get easier for you soon .Take care Xx

• Posted

Thank you all for your kind messages, it really helps to know your not the only person struggling with this. My biggest problem is not so much the panic attacks, as after starting counciling I've come to understand that it is a panic attack and it won't kill me. What I struggle with is more the idea that I could have a heart attack in the future. I'm terrified of a premature death- that after a life of crappy eating and smoking /drinking when I was younger I've clogged my arteries and will have a heart attack. It's not the only thing i struggle worrying about, but it's one of the big ones. I know it's a case of you don't know what's going on inside your body so why spend your life worrying about it- when you go, you go... But it's the idea of leaving my children while they still need me- it haunts me. I know in time I will feel better, it's just the adjustment to the fluoxetine I'm struggling with. It's so disheartening having felt better and then feeling so lousy again. Thanks so much for your reply. (sorry if I went on a bit there, it just helps to get it off my chest) xx

• Posted

Totally understand what you're saying, it was constantly worrying about my health and waiting for test results that started my anxiety Amy, but recognising this is a start . Even when test results were clear i still needed lots of reassurance ,and getting it off your chest does help . Really hope things start to get easier for you soon take care Xx

• Posted

Thank you Karen. It's horrible and I just want to feel like myself again. I'm trying to be positive but sometimes it does feel a bit hopeless. I've started to feel slightly better today and I'm hoping I get at least a little sleep tonight. Fingers crossed! Xxx

• Posted

How long have you been on the anti-depressant from your GP? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.