Please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had to come off Sertraline 3 weeks ago due to chronic diarrhoea. This got better but my anxiety/depression got worse. I am now on day 8 of Escitalopram 5mg,feeling very anxious and low,and to make it worse I think the diarrhoea is starting to flare up again. If all ssris are going to cause this problem (possible microscopic colitis) what do I turn to next? Snris,such as Venlafaxine or older tricyclics? I would welcome any advice as I feel desperate. 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Can't you try counciling? And come off tales,  try and beat it with a  strong mind, don't let it beat you, we can all beat this illness together and talking x
    • Posted

Hi Emily,thank you for your reply. I am waiting for cbt through the nhs,although it is a long wait :-( x
  • Posted

HI Justine

How long were you on Sertraline for?  Diarrhoea is one of my most common anxiety symptoms, it's so bad when I'm anxoius that I'm scared to leave the house because I ALWAYS need the loo.  The amount of times I got halfway on the school run and had to turn back for the toilet hence making my daughter late for school was unreal.  AD's tend to make your anxiety worse before it gets better so could it be that do you think?  When I started on Citalopram back in July I had really bad diarrhoea for a few weeks as my anxiety was higher.  Glad to say it's gone, but if ever I'm nervous or anxious it's the first symptom to come back, I literally loose everything in my stomach.  Sorry for the graphic detail!

Louise x

• Posted

Hi Louise,thank you for your reply. Please don't apologise for the graphic detail,I know exactly what you mean. I was only on Sertraline for 5/6 weeks but it really messed my bowel up,far more than the usual anxiety diarrhoea. Glad you are better with it now x
  • Posted

venlafxine is not too bad start up wise, but hard to come off.

Mirtazipine also an option, which is from another family of anti depressants

• Posted

Thank you,have heard that about Venlafaxine. Do you think those two are less likely to cause diarrhoea?
    • Posted

That is such a relief to hear,I just find the constant diarrhoea so awful and makes my anxiety rocket. What one of those do you take,if you don't mind me asking? 
    • Posted

venlafaxine, but ut is starting to fail for me unfortunately
    • Posted

venlafaxine but it is starting to fail for me unfoirtunately
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that,would a dose increase help? Or what would you try next?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.