please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all i have posted a message here because i need some advice if possible question

for the picture on my profile i have put on a picture of my right hand which is according to the doctor a third degree burn caused by caustic soda powder

last week i got a blocked sink in the bathroom anyway someone told me where i live to get caustic soda because the sink is terrible while i was unblocking i knocked the caustic soda over and basically it went over my hand i obviously swilled the powder away but it burned like hell and left me with third degree burns the doctor gave me antibiotics and i have visited my GP but someone as said that if i pull the scab off as its black n looks like leather then it wouldn't leave much of a scar but if i left the scab on and let it heal then it will scar.....either way i don't know because i have never had a third degree burn before

please could someone help as its hurting like crazy around the black/scab but on the actual wound itself it is actually numb

regards and thanks in advance

lisa smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think either way it's going to scar, I don't think peeling the scabs is a good idea neutral You know maybe you'd be best going to an NHS walk in center (now or tomorrow) and getting some proper advice about it smile
  • Posted

hi

this evening i rang the NHS direct explained everything and around 20 mins ago i had a call back from them they said its best to leave it heal itself and not to take the scab off

personally it does actually look like black leather attached to my hand at the moment with red/dark pink around it the black leather looking skin is totally numb and the red/pink bit is sore

its learnt me never to use caustic soda ever ever again

regards n thanks for ur comment

lisa

• Posted

The numbness is because all the nerves are destroyed, the red / dark pink area are the healing process, they'll heal from the edges in, the scabs pulling on the edges will hurt (Paracetamol will help), having a bath or shower will soften the scabs for a while and release some of the tension but do not be tempted to peel them, just pat them dry and leave them to harden again, then (being sure it's well dry) maybe lightly cover the area with a non stick gauze dressing and some (suitably sized) tubigrip. Don't be tempted to use creams, they'll turn the area into a gooey mess.

Take care smile

• Posted

Oh redface Or keep it uncovered, air is good, but it you knock the scab / s off it may bleed a lot neutral
  • Posted

I would advise you to keep getting medical advice. Chemical burns are very different and can do a lot of damage. My son splashed oven cleaner, potassium hydroxide, on his foot and it was a tiny area compared to what I can see on your hand. He was back and forth to the hospital every few days for dressings and I do recall them referring the the black area as dead tissue and removing it to encourage the fresh tissue underneath.

Now I am not advocating pulling the scab off, just that Chemical burns can keep burning deep into the tissue with little pain so need careful medical management.

Please go back to your doctor or hospital to give it the best chance of healing properly.

• Posted

thank u so much house for all ur advice

hi aussiesue

hope ur son is ok

i shall be making an appointment with my GP tomorrow as my thumb as swollen up and its hard to explain but the fleshy part under ur thumb on the inside of ur hand that as swollen as well its not massively swollen but u can defiantly tell the difference

the GP gave me some dressings and bandage and also some tape and a course of antibiotics which i have finished

i didnt know about the chemical burns can keep burning deep into the tissue

i will however put a post on here to let u n house know how things have gone at the doctors

thanks again for ur message

regards

lisa

• Posted

How to cope with / mitigate Acid or Alkali spills on the Skin (in a First Aid situation) might make a good Patient UK leaflet smile
  • Posted

Hi House,

Chemical burns are covered in the general burns leaflet here https://patient.info/health/burns-and-scalds.

What I can do is improve the search results so that the leaflet returns on various search terms on the site like "acid spill" etc.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Oh redface biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.