Please Help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with CS.  Involving C5 & C6 and a recent MRI has revealed it's now in C4.  Whereas the last 8 years I've hardly had any pain, the last 2 years it is now constant down the right side of my neck.  Unfortunately I am also a migraine sufferer, so sometimes my migraines are caused by the CS and sometimes other reasons, which after 40 years, I still don't know.

The GPs are not interested and after my last MRI a month or so ago they just said there is nothing they can do, so basically, go away.

I'm now going through my 11 headcahe/migraine in 16 days and I'm at my wits end.  I take an eletriptan for my migraines but I am limited to the amount of tablets I can take, 10 a month.  So I'm already over that and there is another 2 weeks to go.

Does anyone else suffer from this combined problem and what do you do??  I was thinking of using my TENS machine for my head because I used to use it for the CS, although we moved 9 months ago and I've lost it!!!

Any help/advice will be gratefully recieved.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I think you may have a need to distinguish between Migraines and Cervicogenic headaches.  Migraine is not usually associated with C/S,  although it could happen as a separate 'stand alone' issue.  C/S headaches normally only affect the back and top of head...rather than forehead or sides.  Quite often,  the decisions they make after MRI are dependant on predicting future outcomes,  and they may have decided that you are not displaying the neurological symptoms of C/S in a way which warrants immediate treatment.  Or it could be they consider the C/S to be too advanced to warrant intervention.  You could get a copy of MRI and use it to get a second opinion from another Neuro consultant.  Also you should get a copy of MRI report,  which can be assessed independently.  

First,  I think it's wise to clarify your Migraine status,  because there might be some confusion with C/S headaches,  and treatments for each would be different.  Have you actually had the migraines diagnosed?...I expect you did because you've been given migraine meds.  Have you researched other ways of easing migraines ?  The C/S issues tend to be chronic,  so there's plenty of time for applying yourself to those.  If the headaches are definitely Migraines,  then I'd suggest you just focus on finding solutions to that,  as a separate issue from the C/S.  If you find the headaches are more likely C/S based,  there are ways to deal with that through altering repetitive sleeping regime patterns,  using various pillows etc.  without having a total reliance on meds,  which only placate the symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Gerry, thanks for your reply.

I definitely know the difference between my C/S headaches and ordinary headaches/migraines and I have got a copy of the MRI report and the cd.

I am under a neurologist at the moment for my migraines, which were actually officially disgnosed about 30 years ago, I have been on various prophylactics which none of them work, I have tried more complimentary treatments than I can think of for my migraine and they don't work either, this is why I am so desperate. 

• Posted

my sister suffered terrable with migraines and she was given injections to inject herself and after about 20 mins in a dark room she would 99 times from 100 be ok after she suffered all her life with them 71 years the injections the only thing that worked. maybe you could ask for them for yourself ? hope all works out well for you any way  good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Patricia, I believe my mum once had an injection after having to call out the doctor years ago, her migraine had gone on for 4 days and wasn't shifting, I'll maybe have a word with my GP.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi there, your life with CS seems to mirror mine.  I've got CS in 5&6 and 3&4 and suffer daily from headaches.  I'm on amitriptyline at night for years but the last year or so I've begun to wake up at 5am every morning with a hideous headache.  I went to my Doctor as I managed to get a "tennis elbow" to add to my problems and he mentioned taking Ibuprofen at night too, together with an antacid tablet to save my poor stomach!  That, teamed with Acupuncture has definitely helped, although I'm not always completely headache free, they have definitely eased.  Before I started that regime I probably had 23 days with a headache a month and I reckon that's halved now.  Also it helps when I wear a Migracap (google it, you can buy direct from them or on Amazon), it's definitely worth a purchase, my sister, a fellow migraine sufferer swears by hers.  I have two, one to wear and one to keep in the fridge to swap with when the other one looses its coolness.  Tiger balm also helps....mainly because the smell relaxes me and stops me from tensing the muscles that are pushing the discs into my nerves.  

I also use a water pillow which has been wonderful as I'm able to fill it up with water to the correct level for my neck to be comfortable (also a purchase on good old Amazon!)

Well I'm just back from a 2 hour Acupuncture session and feel totally relaxed....that is until my 3 young kids start fighting and the usual nightmare of getting them into bed on time! I do always manage to sleep well the day of my Acupuncture....bit pricey for a good nights sleep but so very much worth it when usually I don't get any! 

Hope you manage to get some headache free days, I know sometimes it feels relentless and it's difficult for others to appreciate what you have to go through on a daily basis unless they're a fellow CS sufferer.  

Take care 

• Posted

Hi Carole, thanks for you reply.

I have been on various prophylactics, amitriptyline, propanolol, topirimate,(which nearly killed me) and epilum, none of them worked and all of them had bad side effects.  I had about a year using accupuncture for my migraines, but unfortunately it didn't help either, don't know what's up with me!!!

I think I will try the ibuprofen at night though, I have done that in the past and it seemed to work some of the time, poor you, 23 days a month, that's not good.

Thanks for you advice, I'll check out the products in good old Amazon and maybe give them a whirl, I'll try anything.

Thanks and good luck to you YL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.