Please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 44 years old, I had a total hysterctomy last year due stagw 4 endometriosis.   I was started on HRT, EvaMist, immediately.   I had never had a fracture before, however, in the last 3 months i have had 5 fractures (4 in my hands, 1 in my foot) on 3 separate occasions. I had a DEXA scan this week and the results came back showing osteopenia in the back and hip, but not in the forearm.  I am blown away!  With the exception of some arthritis, I am healthy, 44 years old, never smoked, routine weight bearing exercise, occasional alcohol use, little caffeine. I am a nurse, always on my feet. Very active.  My lab work was unremarkable.  What am I doing wrong?  My doctor recommends fosamax.   Can anyone offer me some insight, suggestions of lifestyle or dietary changes, medictions?  Any response appreciated.  I am hungry for informatioin. I came by this site while searching. Thank you.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tooyoung, are you taking bio-identical HRT?  That's considered much safer than the standard which is manufactured from pregnant mares' urine.  
    • Posted

Speaking of HRT, once we have osteoporosis is it too late to get on HRT?

My 84 year old mother been on hormones for over 40 years and does NOT have osteoporosis and she eats a 1/2 grapefruit everyday which I just read helps bone density. She is so sharp minded too! 

Dang... Not me. wink wish she had guided me to do all that. She's mean, but healthy. wink 

• Posted

My stepmother was on HRT forever, after a hysterectomy (age somewhere in her forties).  But had to stop when she was in her eighties because of development of breast cancer (non-invasive, seemed to cause little problem, but still...).  She always took premarin.  
    • Posted

I decided to take Eva Mist which is a spray that it absorbed and not processed through the liver to avoid the potential risks of the hormones that are processed through the liver.
    • Posted

I just found out a gal I know just started natural hormone replacement, wild yams and soy pellets injected under her skin. Wow.
    • Posted

Hmm, that doesn't sound very "bio-identical"!
  • Posted

You did not do anything "wrong." Total hysterectomy is a major risk factor for osteoporosis. I believe that this surgery, combined with long-term use of the criminally overprescribed PPIs (which are now available OTC so that more people can harm themselves, thereby funneling ever-larger numbers to the osteoporosis-drug manufacturers' profit stream), was responsible for my own osteoporosis. As Kathleen points out, Fosamax is not appropriate for people with osteopenia ... and it's a toss-up whether it is even a good drug for people with osteoporosis. If you begin to take the drug at such a young age, you will be stuck with it for life, as any bone-density gains you might make will subside when you try and get off of it. These drugs, which belong to a class called bisphosphonates, have half-lives of up to ten years, meaning they remain in your system for a decade. Studies increasingly are showing that cumulative doses of this class of drug is predisposing people to catastrophic side effects, notably atypical femoral fracture, whereby the thighbone breaks upon little-to-no impact whatsoever, and osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ), a condition whereby mouth tissues are unable to heal following certain dental procedures and that is basically untreatable. You didn't say what the specialty is of the doctor who recommended Fosamax, but regardless of the answer, he or she apparently knows nothing about the drug's potential harms or the actual indications for it (such as they are).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.