Please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with a under active thyroid 1.5 years ago and feel as groggy now as I did then / worse actually . I'm on 75 mg a day of thyroxine however after ready many articles I'm sure I need T3 treatment in sick if telling my doctor please help where can I purchase this ? Xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Before changing your meds it would definitely be worth getting your T3 tested. Hopefully if you explain to Gp how you are feeling and the reasons behind it, they should test this for you but you could also get it done privately.

However, the t3 medication on offer works for some people but not others. This is similar to levothyroxine in that it's a man made synthetic medication. There is also the other option of trying NDT (natural dessicated thyroid). This is made up of natural hormones from either pigs or cows depending which one you choose.

If you are in the UK the nhs can give you a trial of this, but these days they usually have to refer you to an endocrinologist as they don't usually prescribe it themselves anymore (not sure why, but it's more expensive than levothyroxine).

Sometimes you can feel better on levothyroxine alone if you get the dose right, but I'm the same as you feel worse on it and t3 didn't do much for me. Going to look into NDT next. I hope you get the results you need soon.

• Posted

Sorry meant to say they can give you a trial of liothyonine (t3), but the nhs won't prescribe NDT - you would have to pay for it privately if you wanted to try it. Because NDT is natural hormones it more closely resembles your own hormones which is why some people feel better on this than the other two drugs

• Posted

Poor you its all very comlplicated . I've had a t3 test but the doctor didn't explain it very well . It's driving me nuts and feel very weak along with all the other symtons so I have a different doctor I'm seeing next Thursday however need to know if I can actually purchase t3 for elsewhere ? X

• Posted

If you post the results with the ranges on here other people can help you interpret the results if you like. Just ask for a printout from your surgery. Would also ask them to prescribe it first as I am told it's about a pound a tablet privately (possibly more). There are places you can buy it but make sure you take it under a doctor or endocrinologist advice. Best place to look for suppliers is thyroid UK website

• Posted

Can you change your dr?

May I ask what your previous blood test results were? T3? T4? TSH? TPO? Have you had your iron and vits levels checked?

• Posted

Hi Mary

Thanks for replying . Yes I'm seeing a new doctor next week as have had test but clueless to what they mean so I shall get a copy . All I know right now is I'm putting on weight have horrendous headaches for sometimes days ! My hair is brittle and I feel foggy and tired which is getting worse by the day x

• Posted

Hi

When do you take your levo? Do you take it away from food?

I use to take it in the morning and always felt tired and groggy after taking it. I now take it just before I go to bed, four hours after my last food and the grogginess has gone

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your reply ! I'm a mess and just take my tablets whenever I remember I'm just a total mess

• Posted

Hi

It's a horrible feeling but if you are just taking it at different time each day, that could be your problem. It's so important that you take it at the same time each day and well away from food. As shelly stated, food blocks the absorption of levo and you won't feel better. Try to get in a good routine with taking it and like I do, try at nighttime. It's also been proven to work better when taken at night

• Posted

Hello Ditzygirl:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

I am on T3 alone (Cytomel brand  name)  Liothyronine is the generic.  It is helpful to  be on a combo of Levo and T3.  You should have a T3 level done first. T4 Levo should convert into T3 and some of us can't do that as well. I have that problem.

Ask your doctor to check your T4, T3 levels and TPOA and TGab antibodies and B12 and Ferritin levels.   Ferritin is a component of Iron and must be 70+ to make Levo work well.  Levo must be taken on a empty stomach  & food can block it from working.  Vitamins are important and should be taken 4 hours after Levo.

Many of us are low in Vitamin D also so have that checked.  Being low in D can make you awful with muscles that ache and headaches and fatigue.

I hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi ! Thank you for this message I'm seeing a new Doctor next Thursday and will take this info my main concern is my weight gain I'm feeling despertly unhappy and this alone has a knock on effect . Then there are a the other symptoms x

• Posted

We've all either been where you are right now or are still feeling bad. For me it helps to know its NORMAL to feel like this until we get the right treatment. It helps to know I'm not alone and going crazy. One step at a time.

I find taking levo when I wake to go to the toilet at 4/5am, works better for me. If I take it right before getting up out of bed, then I feel like I've been run over by a truck. Tried taking it before bed but since it needs to be 4hrs after food/vits this doesn't work for me.

One step at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.