Please help

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone, i wonder if i could get a bit of advice? everyone i know think i have the perfect life. I have a really well paid senior managers job, a great wife and two beautiful boys. 

My major issue is that i think i may be an alcoholic. i can stay of it for a week or two but then i feel the pressure of work coming on and wham, i'm straight back on it. I'll drink for days on end, mainly on my own! miss work and then lie about why i wasnt in. im lieing to everyone including my wife and im not fit enough mentally forv my current position. I've constantly got the fear and feel suicidal often. I want to leave my job but feel that could be the last straw and i'll never get myself sorted. maybe i should go sick and let my employer know exactly whats going on? any advice would be good as i'm really struggling.

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Jimmy, honesty is always the best policy, especially when alcohol abuse is the issue. I was in a similar situation at work and in all aspects of my life. I became extremely ill, was hospitalised,lost my business and after a period of recovery - not for the first time - got myself a job.

i started to drink again and, as is the case with most alcoholics, thought that no-one knew but me but of course everyone who knew me did. The peoplewho didn'tknow me just thought I was a drunk. My emplyer kne ful well that I had a serious problem andit still amazes me that he toleratd me for solong.

Eventually, I was ready to admit to myself that I was an alcoholic but was terrified od teling my boss. I knew that I would lose my job eventually anyway so I plucked up the courage to tell him.

The response I got from him was amazing.He offerred to help me in so many ways and told me that he had been waiting for me to tell him the truth and he had given me a certain amount of time to tell him before he fired me.

The help I got from him was incredible.I did have to leave soon after but on good terms with a promise of a job once I'd sought professiona advice and had sorted myself out.

It was a lesson learned to be honest with those closest to me about my problem and then many friends, family and professionals wee more than willing to help- they had been waiting for me to wake up and be honest also.

It opened up a new path to recovery for me and with help from others in the same situation, my life has been altogther so much beter,tht I find it had to believe.

The path I took was total abstinence. I doesn't appeal to everyone but it worked for me.

Being totally honest was the beginning of a new life and being prepared to face all the consequences I had brought upon myself.

Good luck to you; if you keep in touch with this forum, you will find an answer.

Take care.            

. .   . 

I have been sober and still regard myelf as a recovering alcoholic My recovery began when .                                      

• Posted

Sorry about the spelling mistakes, my keyboard is playing up.
    • Posted

Hi Colin, some man thanks for sharing your experience. got an appointment with the doc tomorrow, so fingers crossed!!
    • Posted

Well done and goog luck with the doc'. I daresay he or she won't beieve how much you drink but do not minimise it - try to remember all that you drink over a period and let the doc'make up his or her own mind. 

Blood tests will uncover the truth anyway so just be honest. Don't be temted to play it down; the more honest you are, the more treatment and empathy you should recieve.

That's not the same with all doc's so see how you get on and if you feel that he or she is a little off with you, take it in your stride then start to prove that you intend to do something serious about the matter.

No doubt you'll have to make another appointment......... that's the time you'll be more accurately assesed by your G.P. What you do in the meantime will prove a lot to you and your G.P.

Good luck and all the best.

• Posted

HI Jimmy..sorry I am late replying but I was fascinated by your post and message..see ADEfree with " The Sinclair Method that Paul mentioned can be very good for this." for certain the best..How is Xmas going for you? Regards Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.