PLEASE HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is it ok to stop my 10mg citalopram dose?? i was on it for 7 weeks and finding it hard to sleep the last week now doctor wants me to stop it to see if a new one will work setraline please even tho she said its safe to stop until i start the new one is it because everything i read says not to sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

When taking medication..always listen to your GP..also, always raise any concerns you may have over either taking meds or stopping them. Don't do so until you feel truly comfortable and make sure your GP knows of your hesitation.

If your GP says you are safe, he or she will likely monitor you by suggesting further check ups or phone consultations.

Some SSRI's you can go cold turkey with but you will likely feel some withdrawal. Dont let this frighten you..always always keep the lines of communication open between yourself and your GP as you come off your tablets. You will be fine smile

• Posted

Thanks for replying, yeah i did say it to her and she said cos its a low dose it should be fine..im still afraid i havent taken it all day and im considering taking it before bed would u say leave it and wait to start the setraline or try night time to see if that helps with sleep? she is going to keep in touch..im just very wary of withdrawal symptoms i dont think i could cope thanks so much
    • Posted

Megan, I really can't say whether I think you should stop or not sad medication is something that can only be monitored by a GP and I would be too worried that I could give you wrong advice.

So... It sounds like you want to trust your GP but you fear the withdrawal... At this point we don't know if the medication will cause withdrawal symptoms for you. They may not. But the good thing is that you can contact your GP at any point throughout your transition between meds smile this is a great thing and should give you some comfort.

The only thing I will say as someone who took anxiety medication for a number of years... It's best not to self medicate in any way. Only your GP can do this for you. Follow what he or she instructs and if you experience problems...things can be altered to suit you. I think you will be fine to follow your GP's advice smile

• Posted

Hi megan. I am going through the change of medication right now. I was on 40mg of citalopram and now on sertaline. My doctor told me to half the dose then after a week start the new tablets. I'm also on beta blockers too xx

• Posted

Hi staycee, my doctor wants me to do this for three days with no tapering as its from 10 mg, I'm already feeling a bit sick after not taking any today..how long have u been on the setraline now x

• Posted

I have just started it today. I was feeling very anxious last week but my beta blockers are helping take the edge off xx
    • Posted

Did you feel like the citalopram wasn't working? It was for me but I've heard the setraline isn't as bad on side effects xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.