PLEASE HELP

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I'm a 38-year old male who has been diagnosed with pityriasis rosea. I have now had this wretched disease for 6 months. I had a biopsy done in the first month and then had another one done in the fourth month because it kept getting worse. I have also had countless blood tests done that have shown that I'm healthy...

I have the traditional pattern, but it is now heavily concentrated in my groin and in my ears. It hurts to walk and I can't hear very well. I'm due to go back to the dermatologist in a few days, but I'm losing my mind. Steroid creams work for a while, but the patches keep coming back. I have tried Prreze as well. That cream helps smooth the spots out, but they certainly aren't going away. Black soap, head and shoulders, coconut oil...you name it, I've tried it. The itch right now is not as bad as it was. It is more painful than anything. I'm worried that I have yeast infection in the groin because of the ointments that I have put down there to try and give me some comfort. I have always ate a healthy diet and lift weights 4 times a week.

So, has anyone dealt with this nasty rash in the groin and in the ears? I can't imagine it is that common. That is why I think there is something else going on here. I'm dreading it, but I think I'm going to ask for a biopsy in the groin just to make sure it's not something else.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi fellow sufferer of PR, sorry to hear about your very painful bout of this horrible affliction.  You are the first one in discussions to have it in your groin area, although my own experience of having it over the top end of my thighs and legs (with some on other parts of my lower body) were bad enough, I suspect the heat of your body in these areas are making the lower area worse.  I too tried various treatments as my doctor said the spots/rash would be gone within 6-8 weeks (and that was over six months ago) I have had painful ulcers in my mouth which have robbed me of all sense of taste, and cleaning my teeth is the most painful too.  But in my case McLean's toothpaste seems to help - with a body-wash especially for PR sufferers.  This was purchased by my son online and I have only just begun to use it so cannot give any definitive figures. I now use several products...a gel wash, some mouthwash/mouth-washes, creams and other stuff, plus I'm waiting for my prreze to arrive from America!  Good luck.  I will post any positive happenings when I can.

• Posted

Thanks. I may try a 3rd round with Prreze. If I can stand the itch and burning, I may just try and do nothing. Maybe I am prolonging it. I'm really grasping for straws here. Just today 2 spots showed up on my face.

• Posted

Well, my back, chest, arms and legs are starting to heal I think. Still no advancements in the groin. The peeling from my ears made them congested to the point where I couldn't hear too well. I had those flushed and they did a culture as well. Turns out that I had a staph infection in my ears too so I'm on some medicine for that. This is the worst thing I have ever dealt with. I'm glad that some parts are better, but it seems like it gets better in areas and worse in others. I have an appointment with my 3rd dermatologist next week and I'm also going to let an infectious disease doctor check me over. Brutal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.