Please help

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have decided that I can't manage my drinking so abstinence is the only option. I've been trying to moderate for years I also took Naltrexone but unfortunately couldn't tolerate the side effects. I managed to do a full 5 days without drinking then binged like never before

I had 12 counselling sessions at my ARC but now they've finished. I feel very daunted and scared and alone like my support has gone. The counselling was disjointed especially at the end. I feel I wasted then now as I was trying to moderate rather than just stop which I should have done

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

How many times did you take the naltrexone?

And did you eat before taking it?

Most adjust to the tablets within the first week or so.

However, if you are one of the few that really cant tolerate naltrexone, then there are other options that might be better suited to you. I would urge you to seek an appointment with the prescriber at the alcohol centre to discuss your other options.

• Posted

Hi Joanna I took it for a few weeks and gave it a good go, sometimes with or without food depending. I didn't want to post on here as I don't want to put anyone off. I know it's helped a lot of people and some had no problems at all.

The other thing was my prescriber wasn't allowed to prescribe for TSM. Not really an issue as he wouldn't know. But I was expected to get completely abstinent after a few weeks which I wasn't ready for so fast. It didnt stop cravings just helped me drink less once I started. The only other thing was Antabuse which scares me or Campral which he said wasn't suitable as still drinking. I now want to stop completely but they've discharged me as I've had my help! It is possible that I can go back if I do manage to be sober for a while as I've heard good things about Campral. I also have some Naltrexone left so if I do get an unbearable craving and give into it I would take one

• Posted

Naltrexone will help you drink less as you know, but the cravings can take a while to break down. They didn't build overnight, so they won't be broken down overnight, or even over a few weeks. They can take a few months to subside.

But fair play to you. If you don't get on with naltrexone, then that is just one of those things. As I mentioned in my previous post, there will always be some people that cannot stomach a particular medication, no matter what that medication is.

Don't give up, though! Get yourself re-registered with them. It's crazy that they are basically saying 12 weeks and you are done. No-one I've ever known has recovered after such a short period of time - no matter what form of recovery they are using.

Try not to beat yourself up about this. At the end of the day, naltrexone plus abstinence doesn't work very well at all, so you probably (most likely) still have relapsed regardless.

Stopping on your own is extremely difficult. Register with them again and ask (demand, if needs be) for guidance in helping you reach your recovery goal. You have the right to be treat with care and compassion. Antabuse is very high risk. I took it years ago and managed to remain sober for the time of the prescription but I was white knuckling it.. It wasn't recovery in any sense of the word. It does nothing to dismantle the change in your brain that drinking causes. After my prescription for it was stopped, I relapsed again within weeks.

Acamprosate will help you much better than antabuse in terms of remaining abstinent, and (most importantly) be helping to rewire the brain back to some normality.

• Posted

hi i know how you feel my drinking is causing me problems , in denial secret drinker no life its horrible. but have joined a whats app group who are going through same thing ,helps to chat

• Posted

Hi, I have recently been reading an on-line book/blog which I am finding extremely helpful. I dont know if I am allowed to put it on here but am sure it will be moderated if not. i am now 22 days without a drink of wine (or any other alcohol. I DO hope this will be allowed on here.

It is called 'Belle Robertson...Tired of thinking about drinking? Take my 100 day sober challenge

• Posted

hi daisyjo, well done on deciding to quit drinking, you should be very proud of yourself for making this brave decision. very few people manage it first time so try not to be so hard on yourself if you struggle at the start (this does not mean you should use this as an excuse to continue drinking) it took me many, many attempts to achieve any length of sober time. i would continue to try and find a counselor, check out local addiction centers , charity organisations and support groups, failing that perhaps you have a trusted friend or family member you can open up to. you need to gather as much support around you as possible especially when you are starting out on your journey. remember all counselors are not suitable you need to find one you can relate to and can talk freely and honestly with, use this site or any other support mechanism, keep reaching out for help and remember you are not alone out there, their are many people in recovery who would be only to glad to offer you any support they can. hang in there daisyjo - you have made the first and most important move by accepting the fact you have a problem , best of luck - pmcg

• Posted

Thank you all for your kind replies. I am now 10 days sober and feeling more positive. There is no part of me that wants to drink except maybe to fit in socially. I am done with it. I'm hoping to go to a SMART meeting

• Posted

well done daisyjo, youve done really well. Good luck at your SMART meeting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.