Please help...8 weeks in and its worse !

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm on my 8th week of 10mg of Citalopram. (Second time round, I went off them for 6 months worked well for me before on 10mg too).

I'm feeling so hopeless as around week 4-6 I was doing so well - feeling really good. My main anxiety is OCD like fixation on physical symptoms. But this past week I have been hit with a huge wave of anxiety I can't shake, pretty debilitating chest pain 24/7. I'm honestly just so upset and confused why its gotten so bad - at times worse than before taking the medicine. Week 8 is when you are supposed to feel better so why is this happening? If anyone has had a similar experience I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey Felixe, it's early days yet, don't lose hope.

Sounds like it could be a blip. 2nd time around for me on Citalopram was similar, would have days or even a week of feeling good, then suddenly I'd regress/blip, feel like I was back to square one.

It would eventually pass, and the blips became less frequent and shorter as time went by. Took me till about 5&1/2 months before I was totally better, maybe 12 weeks before there was some consistent improvement.

Are you exercising? And are you taking the citalopram consistently, like within 30mins of the same time each day?

• Posted

Thanks so much David - appreciate this reassurance. It's frustrating when drs. say you will be better in 6-8 weeks ! I exercise and take it at the same time yes. My blip seemed to creep in when i changed from my usual brand to 'Accord' to a new one - 'Sovereign'. Feels silly to attribute it to that but its all that I can think of. Again thank you.

• Posted

Hi Felixe,

I have written about brand changes on this forum before but it's hidden away in other threads so not easy to see.

Like you, I had a brand change of my Citalopram and blipped massively. For two weeks I sunk into a massive hole and my anxiety was on a whole new level. Accord is the brand I use now and I will only use this.

I've worked in pharmacy in the past and the line we are told to tell people is that all generic drugs are the same - and we believe this as truth when we learn it. However, there is a thing called bioequivalence, which means generic drugs have to have a bioequivalence of the original patent of the drug, however the swing in this bioequivalence is from 80%-125% of the original, meaning you could get one generic that is 80% the equivalent of the original, and another that is 125% of the original, giving you a potential difference of 45% between generic drugs. Of course, the drugs are also made with different excipients and coatings which also affects the rate of metabolism in the stomach, something which is massively important but often overlooked.

What you could be experiencing is a readjustment to the new bioequivalence of your new brand of citalopram and you will go through the motions of starting the drug all over again. When I went back onto the Accord brand, the difference was like night and day and I picked up instantly, although did experience things like dry mouth, fatigue etc again with the brand switch. I also spoke about this with my psychologist who has told me it's a common issue with citalopram and staying on the same brand is always something she recommends. There are a few papers on it, too.

So, my advice to you would be to go back onto the Accord brand and stick to it - the price difference between brands will be pennies and you can ask your pharmacist to note it on your patient file. If they are funny about it, just ask your GP to state the brand you want on your prescription.

I hope this helps and I hope you pick up soon - I know how rubbish blips are whether they are caused by things like this or just the naturally occurring ones that we have to ride out.

Amy x

• Posted

I appreciate this so much thank you - yes I really think it could be this.

I told my dr. but she said there is no link and said I should think about increasing dosage. Which just seemed rash because 1st time round I was great on 10mg. Thank you for not making me feel crazy ! I'll ring again and really try to be stubborn about it - at least just for my peace of mind.

Thanks again!

Felixe x

• Posted

Hi Felixe,

I did reply yesterday but I attached links into the reply and I think it's still waiting to be moderated. It was links to the paper I read about brand changes and the findings, as well as a link to a clinical psychiatrist on Youtube who discusses generic brands. It's all very interesting.

Unfortunately, it's not something that is well studied but it is a very real issue. Of course, some people are fine with brand changes, but others are sensitive to it for whatever their metabolic reason is and if you've had a dip and it's coincided with a brand change, I'd say revert back to the original. Of course, these blips can happen out of nowhere and it's part of recovery like Katcogs teaches us all, but I always eliminate the other factors and then you know where you are standing.

If your doctor is funny about it, speak to your pharmacist, I just asked my pharmacist and he changed it no problem on the spot. I used to be a pharmacy technician and the difference in generic brand cost is literally a couple of pence, so it's not a big deal for the pharmacy usually as long as they have your brand in stock. If not, they could order it - they do two orders a day, one in the morning which comes in the afternoon and then an end of play order which comes in the next day, so it's not a big deal.

Amy

• Posted

Hey Amy,

Dr wasn't super helpful but took your advice and phoned around different Pharmacies and 3rd time lucky - they stocked it! Got dry mouth pretty soon after taking Accord but fine other than that. Thanks so much. I hope to write an update on this message board of me feeling better in the future.

Felixe x

• Posted

hey David thanks for your post its given me hope! I'm 2 weeks in for the second time and had horrendous side effects, had a couple of better days and thought I'm on my way. then yesterday and today I feel like I'm back at the start! questioning everything!

• Posted

Hi, thank you for the above post regarding brand changes. Ive done a bit of reading myself and know although the active ingredients may be the same, it's the non active that can cause problems. My GP doesn't agree with me!! I was on Accord Citalopram 10mg for about 7 weeks, my GP upped the dose to 20mg. Seemingly Ive been told Accord have stopped manufacturing Citalopram in 20mg tablets?? Do you have any knowledge of this? Im using Medreich 20mg tablets at the minute and so far had no nasty side effects, but my new prescription has changed brands yet again, I'm due to start taking them on Tues and feeling apprehensive, my pharmacist doesn't seem to agree either about different brands and side effects. It's a minefield and its us that has to suffer not the GPs or pharmacist 😡😡

• Posted

Im wondering about my celexa right now too. I was on 10mg for 6 weeks and have been on 20mg for 3 weeks. I feel great during the day but when eveing hits i get heart palpitations and then i start to lose hope! Just hoping in time it will go away

• Posted

It should pass in time.

You've just increased your dose which will bring on side effects again.

How long have you been having the palpitations?

• Posted

hi there

i can totally relate, im on citalopram 2 nd time around

i was on 10 mg for ages 1 st time worked a treat, no probs.....

this time im having a tough time settling, it does get better & i have good days & not so good days but its defo more difficult 2 nd time around..........how are you feeling today?

my anxiety seems to be fine then suddenly goes into orbit!!!!!

hope your feeling better

• Posted

Hey!

I'm feeling alot better since sticking to the one brand of citalopram for sure. But deffo still wobbly.

I wonder because its our second time round we sort of view our first time with rose tinted glasses as the time frame of recovery seems shorter when you look back!

I also think because it worked for me before i'm constantly comparing with super high expectations! I've tried to stop that and I do feel slightly better.

Plus last time on citalopram I wasn't in a pandemic ! I'm sure that correlates to recovery time too.

Wishing you all the best - its so good we can reach out this way. I've had a string of not so great Dr.'s who make me feel way more isolated in my experience - thank god for this site!

• Posted

bad stomach churning anxiety - well pretty awful been like this for a good week. Sad hasnt improved even with brand change. really hope I post in a months time feeling better. Staying positive is so difficult

• Posted

bad stomach churning anxiety - well pretty awful been like this for a good week. Sad hasnt improved even with brand change. really hope I post in a months time feeling better. Staying positive is so difficult. got so bad tempted to visit ER. Now accepted its anxiety not health problem. but this anxiety is worse than before i started taking them. They worked so well before. Am i getting used to the oringinal accord again because of the brand change - it just seems stupid.

• Posted

i could have written this, except im on week 5 and feeling worse than ever. im interested in the responses you get x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.