Please help! Ankle ORIF - 6 weeks.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 6 weeks post the surgery (35 male). The doctor removed my cast today, it does not feel like my leg, doctor asked me to start weight bearing (without AIR boot). I went home and try to weight bear on my foot but my ankle does not rotate up and down, so i can't stand with my two legs in parallel. 

I am too scared to start putting weight on my leg. in my country it's very expensive to get AIR cam and it will take a long time to ship it from outside. shall I wear normal shoes? shall I start PT?

on top of that, I was not conformable when I saw the Xray today! it does not look to me aligned although the doc said it's fine! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was told the same and your leg will feel very strange for the next month or two, try and exercise it as much as possible, swimming is great x
  • Posted

I’d consult with the physical therapist and listen to your body by taking things slowly...do you have access to Amazon to purchase a cam boot? Keep doing the RICE thing (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevating) but that’s just my opinion as I am not a orthopedist, but I’d defiantly check into some type of ankle support that suits your needs. Best Wishes in your recovery!
  • Posted

Sometimes I hate pcs - typed up a long reply and somewhere it has disappeared.

anyway - maybe more briefly - don't forget cam boots are a new invention - not so long ago people would have gone from cast to weight bearing. Assume you still have crutches or similar? (can't see how you could bear weight without boot or crutches.  Let's assume you have crutches - you need shoes which give you good support around the heels - you may find your existing shoes don't fit jsut now or you may be lucky and find some that do.

ou will soon work out how much weight you can put on your ba.

Swimming as suggested elsewhere sounds an excellent idea

Physiotherapy (or some  folk call it rehabilitation or PT) - I think is essential. If you don't get this provided and you can't afford to pay for it - then google it.  There are lots of good sites often written by physiotherapists or hospitals- good exercises - follow them as you can.

here are lots of videos on you tube but I like 

http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/patient-information-leaflets/physiotherapy-ankle-fracture.htm

simply because I can print it off

Then gently does it - you need to push yourself a bit but not too much  

RE your x ray - only a doctor or maybe a physiotherapy could confirm whether it really is sufficiently aligned

Hope it all goes well for you

• Posted

Wow!! My doctor wants to fuse my ankle on the left foot. Afterward I can only move my foot up and down . Never sidesways again. He said I will be out of pain forever because the bone will be fused. Has anyone had this done? I know they never tell you what happens in the long run. Help!! I feel bad for you sir with your ankles. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.