Please help. Any advice would be appreciated!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm a 25 year old women with three little boys, when I had my eldest at 18 I was put on cocodamol and tramadol 2tabs 4times a day.

7 years down the line I am still on these tablets and feel so depressed! I worry when I'm running low or notice I have very little left and psychologically started instant fear. I've tried cold turkey 3 times and it was absolutely horrendous I was taking fits, sweating, being sick, shaking every few minutes, suicidal thoughts, angry, sad and overall I'll like I had flu! My doctor cut me off completely two years ago and I was left ill and was feeling very suicidal!

I've tried everything and I need help otherwise I fear the worst for myself! I misscarried 9 weeks ago and lost over 2 1/2 litres of blood and was operated on and my body went into shock. I nearly died. BUT I was kept in and they didn't give me my correct medication and by the next morning I was feeling very upset, agitated and down right sad I had to beg them to give me my proper prescription other I'd be very unwell.

I realised when I ran out I'd be very unwell (before I knew about withdrawals) I'd end up in hospital each time having panic attacks and what not. My heart rate was through the roof and they always thought I had an infection but it was indeed the tramadol withdrawals!

I have looked into rehab facilities and tried to see if I could get some help.

I'm from Scotland and don't have no help

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Amy ,

I feel for you and I totally understand how you feel ,withdrawal from tramadol is horrendous ..Especially cold turkey ..which I might add your doctor should have Not just stopped your prescription ,he / she should have given you a weening off plan ..

You've been through a lot and every emotion ,every emotion you describe I have personally experienced with tramadol also ..

Iv been hooked on them for just over 2 yrs and can't function without them ,I'm trying to ween myself off them as we speak and finding it very difficult ..

If you haven't done so already go back to your gp and tell them you need help ..

• Posted

I am currently weaning myself off Tramadol 😖 It's hard but I am making progress! My background is that I was prescribed Tramadol 9 years ago for prolapsed and herniated discs. For about the first 4 years I was on 800mg per day then managed to reduce to 400mg which is what I remained on until I was diagnosed recently with epilepsy-yes, probably caused by the Tramadol as it lowers seizure thresholds. I I was advised last month to come off it 😱 You can imagine my horror at the thought! Anyway I am down to 150mg per day just now and have and still am doing it by reducing by 50mg at a time-so for example for the first week I will alternate daily taking 3 one day and 4 pills then next day and so on for about a week and at the end of the week I should be able to level off on just the 3 tablets. Then give my body a chance to get used to 3 and recover from the drop for about a week then I will start the same method for reducing to 2 pills (hopefully at the end of this week). Things that I have found that are helping and wish I tried years ago are 1. I talked to my GP openly about being afraid of the 'coming off Tramadol journey' and he sees me every 2 weeks to keep up with my progress so I feel obliged to keep going-a bit like being more likely to loose weight if you have to get weighed by someone at weight watchers!

2. Keep an HONEST diary about what pills youve taken and how you've been feeling. Being honest is important because it's good to look back on times that you've struggled especially if there's been progress afterwards-a few nights ago when I had just started dropping to 3 pills I ended up taking 3 EXTRA just to stop the pain and shakes but looking back I've only had good days since which is my focus!

3. Take paracetamol! I space my Tramadol and paracetamol out so that when my body is going to be struggling without the Tramadol it has the paracetamol to take the edge off. I set alarm reminders on my phone so I am taking the Tramadol and paracetamol at set times, otherwise there's the danger of waiting too long for one and that's when the withdrawals get a proper grip.

Anyway that's where I am at-still struggling on but determined that these pills are coming out of my system and won't mess up my brain anymore!! Good luck x

• Posted

Sorry I've not had internet but I have currently came off cocodamol now completely my next stop will be tramadol. The thought of this scares me. After I lost a baby a few months back it's been very difficult to think of anything else then my brother in law was in a severe car crash on Sunday. Trying to cut down is so difficult with all these problems around me that make me feel so much worse.

It gives me some comfort or hope with these posts that I'm not alone and I can 100% understand how you guys are feeling. I'm in high hopes of being able to cope with these things we are all only human and our body doesn't cope as well as others sometimes xxx

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your baby 😢 I can not imagine the pain you must be feeling and I hope your brother in law recovers well.

I have found that prepreparing my pill box (I am on other meds too) helps me not to have to over think about how much Tramadol I've to take. Especially when you are deallling with so much stress it may be an idea to do the same as it is easy to take more and more each day with out realising it! Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.