Please Help. Been dealing with loads of weird symptoms since June 2017.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since June of 2017 I have been dealing with extremely itchy hives, like scratching myself bloody itchy.  I have been prescribed doxepin as an antihistamine and have been on a low histamine diet but it still flares up every night starting at around 6pm.  Before I got prescribed the doxepin I was waking up scratching several times a night and would have to take up to ten allegra a day and a steroid every night (I am now slowly getting off of the steroid and only take allegra occasionally).  Have also been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks (not previously an anxious person), urine incontinence and urgency/frequency in urination, acid reflux, fatigue, forgetting things easily, general weakness, extremely dry and cracked skin (this one could be due to a lack of vitamin C in my diet), my hair is thinning, I sweat a lot and for no reason mainly from my armpits and I am not previously a person that sweats easily, heat intolerance and hot flashes that sometimes occur with anxiety sometimes at random, occasional twitching, bloating, discolored feet and legs after showers or in the evening they are slightly blue or grey in spots but do not hurt, enlarged tastebuds, white coated tongue, loss of balance, rib pain on right side that doesn’t last more than a few minutes at a time, dizziness, breathlessness on exertion (I was very fit before all of this), loss of appetite that comes and goes now but was constant in the beginning, numbness and tingling in feet and legs, swollen lymph nodes in neck and under arms, slight sore throat that comes and goes, blurred vision that comes and goes, and difficulty swallowing when my throat is swollen due to bloating.  I also have been getting blisters that come up when I come in contact with an allergen or are inflamed that leak clear fluid.  The hives get worse when scratched and flare up after I eat high histamine foods, when I’m hungry, when I take showers (luke warm or cool water and low pressure), at night, with heat, or with anxiety.  Since I started having these symptoms my Mother came down with the same symptoms in October and she says that hers flare up after eating any food or when she is hungry, my boyfriend started coming down with the hives and some of these symptoms in January (he has no history of allergies and says they flare up with the same triggers minus the histamine foods and showers), and my Dad and Sister both started coming down with the hives and some of these symptoms a couple months ago, no one else in my family has their hives flare up after eating high histamine foods.  Does anyone know what this could be?  I have been to several doctors and nobody seems to have a clue.  It’s extremely frustrating and I haven't been able to work or really do much of anything at all.  Any help at all is greatly appreciated.   

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you,

I also was going through what you’re going through. I would scratch until blood would come. I was also  scratching when I was asleep, whenever I was asleep, I really couldn’t sleep for a week. The only thing helped me was steroids and high doses of  Doxepin. I was diagnosed for Urticarial Vasculitis and then some times after that Kidney disease. I hope you are seeing a  dermatologist, allergist and hopefully other doctors who can order tests to find out what’s going on with you. Best wishes to you!

• Posted

Thank you.  I will look into both of those.  I have seen an allergist who prescribed me the doxepin and an infectious disease doctor and neither of them ordered any additional tests but did refer me to a dermatologist who I haven’t seen yet. 
  • Posted

Hi SayBay,

I had to deal with these problems toI.  After a long time, it turns out that my body was creating too much testosterone. I highly recommend that you see an Endocrinologist.  They were able to test all my hormones and saw there was an imbalance. I now take Spironolactone and it is a testosterone blocker. Ever since I started taking that my hives are under control. Good luck !

• Posted

I actually have been diagnosed with PCOS and already know I am high testosterone.  I didn’t know it could cause hives though.  I don’t think that that’s the cause of all of this though because of my family and boyfriend coming down with the hives as well.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.