Please help - Bladder infection for 2 years

Posted , 12 users are following.

Please help - Bladder infection for 2 years

I've had a constant bladder infection for 2 years now. Lot of doctors have told me that it's recurrent etc but I know that I haven't had a rest from painful urination, burning bladder or uncomfortableness for one day in 2 years so it hasn't gone away.

To summerise everything..

Symptoms: burn during and after urinating. If I am not on daily low dose antibiotics - constant agony, if I am - pain for 10 mins after urinating and at random times during day. Can't wear any pants except "breathable" pants such as 98% cotton leggings or baggy pants as if i do i have immediate pain that persists throughout the day. Have to drink at least 300 ml water after urinating or bladder burns constantly. Soft drinks, alcohol and tea I must drink in the middle of drinking water otherwise peeing is unbearable.

Tests: ultasound, camera into bladder, widening urethra surgery, bladder pressure and emptying, MRI. All came out "normal" and "nothing serious" and did not help

Past history: I have 3 cysts on my overies, told they are not big enough to cause issues. On antidepressants due to my illness.

Tried: Oregano oil, Vitamin C, changing contraceptive pill, d-mannose, cranberry juice, cranberry capsules, pain management therapy. None helped.

Can anyone help??? Has anyone had anything similar?? Im fed up of living my life in pain and noone understanding how hard it is to make it through a normal day. I don't want for anything now but for someone tp understand what is causing this and make it go away. I'm a 23 year old female and have a healthy diet, am not overweight, no family history of illness or UTI and exercise regularly.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

Just checking in again with the outcome of my referral! I saw a very good urologist who tapped into all of my questions regarding my issues ! I explained I was a bit sceptical that I have UTIs despite having the symptoms and I was more worried about interstitial cystitis considering I've had well over 30 infections in the past 5 years. I had a cystoscopy under general yesterday and I do have an inflamed bladder which is non-infective. There is a spectrum of severity when it comes to cystitis, with interstitial cystitis being towards the severe end. Mine looks relatively superficial but he showed me photos he took of the red patches all along the inside of my bladder, caused by multiple previous infections. I am awaiting a biopsy to confirm and will be starting trans-cyst in January, which is a treatment they put into the bladder via a catheter once a week for 6 weeks here in the UK which prevents recurrent infections. The current research has found that people who get recurrent infections also have a slight difference in the proteins and carbohydrates on the cell walls which allows the bacteria to latch on and multiply. Treatments like transcyst try to reduce this latching on.

I'm very glad that my suspicions were confirmed and that my bladder is actually inflamed without me having an actual UTI. I will check in in a couple of months to let you know how the treatment goes, as it may be an option for some of you all at some point. Luckily my symptoms have actually subsied a bit in the past couple of weeks but it does wax and wane.

Mel

Mel

• Posted

Thanks for the update.  I am glad you have found the peice to the puzzle.  I am concerned this is an issue for myself.  Urinalyisis shows no infection even through microscopic, but when they culture it there is a low count of bacteria showing in the urine.  It is not every month, it seems to be every other month.  I call them flare ups, because when they come on that is how it feels.  I see my urologist in January and I hope he comes up with a treatment plan, as he has no prescribed any antibiotics maily because of my reactions to them I guess.  The bacteria I have is hard to treat as it seems to make its way back.  I have been doing ozone therapy which relieves the symptoms and kills the bacteria for the time being, I have been trying my best to keep my bladder flushed out, and taking things that help the bladder to prevent any further issues.  It has been on and off since August which in my opinion is too long, let alone your two years of suffering.  Keep us posted how the treatment works.

• Posted

Thanks for the update Mel, I think many people who post on here may actually have IC rather than persistent UTIs and I've suggested to quite a few that they look at the 'cystitis and overactive bladder foundation' to find out more. (Search for COB and you should find it).

They might even have more info on this trans-cyst treatment and maybe on the balancing of the bladder lining.  Good luck and I do hope this puts an end to your misery.  It must have been a nice 'YES' moment for you to have your suspicions confirmed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.