Please help!!!!! confused about HCL with pepsin??!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I took hcl with pepsin for dinner... I jad pork chops potatoes salad and brussel sprouts... I took half of a 650mg hcl tablet... nothing got worse...I feel like my trouble swallowing got worse for a small amount of time...then a short time later my pain started lessening and trouble swallowing was virtually gone... I had some lowfat cheese hummus and rice crisps for a snack before bed (which I know I shouldn't do) no problems.. woke up this morningn with  the lump in my throat was pretty much gone. 

Now usually rhis feeling will come shortly upon wakIng. .. but today it took longer to come back and the feeling was not as bad and  mainly in chest. It didn't come back till I was thinking about it. 

I forgot  to mention that I wa diagnosed with grade 3 gerd (severe) but my symptoms are more of lpr such as throat clearing excessive mucus lump in throat no stomach pr chest burning ect.... 

I also Have a dr appointment today

I was just wondering if anyone had the same experience as me or if hcl will make u feel better that quick? 

I feel great and would love to keep it that was smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I can't figure that stuff out - I want to try it, but I don't think I can because I don't eat meat and I am pretty sure you need to have it with meals with meat. I don't know. Anyone know?
    • Posted

Im pretty sure u do. I read somewhere that u can with really fatty meals. Google always helps smile
  • Posted

Hi its all very confusing I have lpr symtoms with throat clearing , clogged lump in throat , and guggles and lodged feeling in solar plexus centre of chest base of rib cage..been to docs again today he's sending me for ENT as I get hoarsness and slight sore throat all indicates silent reflux but on lanzaprozile alkaline water and gaviscon but no joy..I'm not sure if its low acid or reflux its all very confusing ????
    • Posted

Google baking soda test and try that it isnt perfect but will give u an idea u can also try betaine hcl with pepsin. Take it with a high protein meal if u continue your day symptoms free.. most likely yiu have low stomach acid. 90% of people with lpr/gerd/acid reflux actually have low stomach acid and not high

Its definately worth a shot

• Posted

Hi, yes I keep banging the drum about enzymes with betaine hcl. They work immediately. Also it's like they retrain your body to produce it's own stomach acid and enzymes. You will know when you can ease up taking them and when symptoms re-appear start takeing them again. The good point is no side effects and I can eat most anything. I do however avoid nightshade foods.
    • Posted

Also, I have ready about NSAIDS with hcl as well - I don't take Advil every day by any means, but I do take it when I have a bad headache or am borderline migraine, so I don't know if I can take hcl or not. So much confusing info about that supplement.  If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. 
    • Posted

Hcl is stomach acid which you should have anyway. So try it when you don't need the NSAIDs. I would recommend a good digestive enzyme complex with betaine hcl. Don't think doctors are familiar with enzyme supplements.
    • Posted

After the second time trying them (first time was a few weeks ago) I now have a spre throat that comes and goes like every 5 minutes.. funny thing is it started happening since yesterday after I went to rhe doctor and she had asked me.... and also I am having some stuffy feeling in ear weird feeling in nose.... also the last week I have been having bad headaches... my teouvle swallowing and painful swallowing is pretty muxh gone ezcept it does come back alot less painful sometimes when I eat and dont take hcl.. 

Does this sound normal to you?

When do u take hcl like what kind of meals?

• Posted

Hi I take a good enzyme complex that has hcl in it. I think it is important to take one tablet with a small amount of food and a milky drink first thing in a morning. Then I take two tablets as I start eating lunch. Another two with my evening meal. When I'm not on the enzymes I find that a watery drink creates gas and I believe that this is in the bowel, the pressure then squeezes the stomach and presto acid reflux or belching. I only normally have to take the enzymes for about three weeks. Then I manage ok without them for about three months. When I start to get the bloating and belching I start back on the enzymes. I do have hiatus hernia. To help this I eat little and often and nothing tight round my waist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.