Please help !! Constant urge to take a deep breath or yawn for over 10 months!!

Posted , 93 users are following.

Okay. Short history. I have had health anxiety for about 5 years now. I am a 19 year old male who is otherwise pretty healthy. 10 months agp, around February-March I began having this sensation in my throat/chest area that was only relieved when i was able to get a good deep breath or yawn. The issue is that this breath or yawn isn't always satisfying so I am  constantly taking a deep breath or yawning. I had this issue when I was younger though it went away instantly, this time however it has stuck around and I am in fear that its here to permanently stay. The last 10 months have been absolutely horrible. Some days are better than others, there are times where i don't feel the issue (at the gym, when out with friends). But for the past 3 weeks it has been absolutely unbearable. i feel embarrassed when outside as i think people are often judging my deep breathing. My job requires me to talk on the phone for 6 hours so you can imagine how unbearable this feeling is. I just need advice/help.Anyone out there who has gone through this or is going through it what helps? Will it ever stop? This issue is bringing my spirits very down as i feel that i will be having to deal with this for the restof my life. Please help me get my quality of life back!!

1 like, 140 replies

140 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I feel I have the same problem some days are better than others. I've tried allergy meds worked at first but stopped all that really works for me are really strong halls. it's only maybe been happening for a year but last few months have been worse. I've tried inhaler doctor just told me to try allergy meds. feels like it's never gone away. have you came across anything that's helped?

• Posted

how are you guys doing . urge to yawn and take deep breath ruining everything now its interrupting sleep. tests came back normal. pls post your progress

• Posted

I had this due to acid reflux. I took omeprazole, infact i still take it , its been 7 months , the symptoms havent completely disappeared but much better. Hope we recover from this asap 😃

• Posted

are u cured now? how long did u have it?

• Posted

great thread to come across. Good and bad to see lots of people with the same thing as me.

4 days ago, work got really tough. A lot of home troubles and tight deadlines converged to send me in a bit of a panic and i started feeling starved of air, as if the last 20% of the breath just couldnt be achieved. Which made me panic even more.

Only sleep so far offers relief. feel so annoyed that something that came on so quickly now dominates my day and now I have to find a way to learn how breath again, or at least forget I am breathing.

Plenty of videos about this on youtube but so far nothing has helped.

• Posted

tried meditation, tried breathing exercises to try to not need that last part of the breath, but its like a drug, like an itch that MUST be satisfied. can anyone here relate to that?

• Posted

Indeed! It is like an itch.. I think it is like an OCD pattern that it started to happen and won't go away. I'm very worried sometimes also of how to manage my deep breaths when I'm with people. I was recommended to do some CBT therapy, in order to reeducate this bad pattern.

• Posted

Of course is OCD i have this for so long at the moment you realize is ocd you will going to feel better but is so hard to convince your self that is anxiety. trust your pathologists.

• Posted

has anyone here tried going to a chiropractor? i am currently having an episode and have an appt with a chiro but i can say that when i had this before i realized it was due to being so tense or positional i will keep you posted on my progress

• Posted

i feel this sooo strongly im bed ridden cant work eat barely can take care of hygein or move sold my car have no life my only focus is get a deep breaths feels terrifying i gasp gulp and yawn Every 30 seconds exertionakes it worse even the smallest things and eating i feel doomed

• Posted

I know it is hard to realize right now, but if a doctor has been unable to find a source for your symptoms, they are likely in your mind. I hate that as a response for you, but the good news is it will get better, it WILL. BELIEVE it and you can get there.

• Posted

Hi, if your doctor and various tests have not been able to establish a cause it might be worth getting looked at by an osteopath or chiropractor. the vertebra under what would be your bra strap (if u r a woman) can sometimes 'lock up '. This can happen for all sorts of reasons, from doing too much to doing too little. a chiropractor or osteopath will loosen up the muscles and unlock sticky ribs and vertebra. sometimes you need a couple of treatments but the feeling of being able to breathe again is beyond words

• Edited

Hi! So I know this is a late response but I have gone through this and it is absolutely terrifying! I wouldn't wish this on anyone. So, I have experienced the same symptoms even including the sensation of gasping for air right as I am about to go to sleep. I went to Dr. and they sent me in for a chest xray, echo, and EKG. Everything came back great and I was still having this issue. Long story short I had developed a sudden allergy to nuts and coffee. I use to drink coffee and nuts all the time! then out of nowhere I was suddenly allergic. I stopped drinking coffee and eating nuts and all of my breathing issues vanished. for me when I think allergies I think breaking out in rashes but for me it affected me in my breathing. maybe it's the food's you are eating. your allergic to something and you don't know it.

• Posted

Hello, louise55470 . I'm 21 years old, almost 22, male, very phisically active, without any bad habits (never smoked, rarely drink alcohol), eating healthy 90% of the time, but I'm suffering from same problem as you since 11-12 years old. I remember the day it started like it was yesterday... I was laying in my bed, almost alling asleep and then I felt sudden urge to yawn or take a deep breath. I started to gasp for air, but my breaths felt shallow and not satisfying enough, so I started to panick... I was a child, I didn't knew what was happening to me, my parents took me to every possible doctor, but no one seemed to find the cause and they told that anxiety causes this air hunger thing... I couldn't believe them, because at the time, I didn't felt anxious or depressed, but that state, of constant air hunger and yawning made me anxious, sad, I cried almost every night, because I couldn't find anyone who suffers from this problem and I felt hopeless and alone... Over time, I started to overcome this feeling, and in my teens, I felt normal again, but at the end of the day, I felt that sensation, that I need to take a deep breath. In my situation, stress and anxiety are major factors, If I have a stressful events, like my dog died, lost job, fighting with my wife etc., this air hunger sensation worsens, I even start to think, that it may be a heart problem, because of chest tightness, sometimes stabbing pain in my chest, but It all comes down to my anxiety... Since childhood I was very emotionally sensitive, easily scared, always cried when my mom and dad had a fights and I think that formed my general anxiety, I was so used to it and it felt normal to me and over time, it became this air hunger problem... I hope you will read this and you will feel a little bit better, because reading other people stories, who feels the same as me helps me to relax and eases that air hunger problem. I think it's 100% mental. Have a great day and always stay positive, because I have this problem for 10 years now and it doesn't affect my daily life like it used to. I have a wonderful wife, good job and sometimes I get that air hunger thing, but I try not to let it take me over. Sorry if some sentences are wrong, I'm not from USA or UK, English is not my native language.

If you want to chat about this, you can add me in facebook: Paulius Antanauskas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.