Please help !! Constant urge to take a deep breath or yawn for over 10 months!!

Posted , 93 users are following.

Okay. Short history. I have had health anxiety for about 5 years now. I am a 19 year old male who is otherwise pretty healthy. 10 months agp, around February-March I began having this sensation in my throat/chest area that was only relieved when i was able to get a good deep breath or yawn. The issue is that this breath or yawn isn't always satisfying so I am  constantly taking a deep breath or yawning. I had this issue when I was younger though it went away instantly, this time however it has stuck around and I am in fear that its here to permanently stay. The last 10 months have been absolutely horrible. Some days are better than others, there are times where i don't feel the issue (at the gym, when out with friends). But for the past 3 weeks it has been absolutely unbearable. i feel embarrassed when outside as i think people are often judging my deep breathing. My job requires me to talk on the phone for 6 hours so you can imagine how unbearable this feeling is. I just need advice/help.Anyone out there who has gone through this or is going through it what helps? Will it ever stop? This issue is bringing my spirits very down as i feel that i will be having to deal with this for the restof my life. Please help me get my quality of life back!!

1 like, 140 replies

140 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The last few weeks i have been experiencing this. I have the urge to yarn or take a really deep breath but can never complete it. I want to go to the doctors but i am scared they wont be able to help me or get to the bottom of it. It is every few minutes when its on my mind, when i am focused on something i dont think it happens. It is honestly so worrying, when i think something is wrong with my body i drive myself insane with worry. what do i do

• Edited

Hello, I have been suffering for over a year now - I find when I yawn I cannot finish my whole yawn and feel unsatisfied, I can't fully yawn and also when I am eating I always have to gasp for air or breath. This has been really stressing me out. I have seen my doctor and was told they are not sure what this could be so put it down to anxiety which I do not think it is. Does anyone have the same problem? As this is driving me crazy 😔

• Posted

hey.

I am suffering the exact same mysterious weird breathing for a year and a half now. I understand its torture and so debilitating. are you by any chance overweight? I been told its obesity hyperventilation syndrome probably. lose weight or get liposuction done. I hoping it will work as I planning to do that. I tried absolutely everything to manage or control this. I now actually get prescribed THC oil by a doctor for this it really really helps reduce the suffering. I'd suggest talking to a medicinal cannabis company about trying this form of treatment until you can work out exactly what it is and sort it out. the oil will really help settle it all down. it's not a cure just a good management somehow don't know how but it helps. message me anytime you want to talk to someone who going through the same thing.

• Posted

I have the exact same problem! i yawn and yawn and yawn until i finally get that deep breath! Its worse when i eat or drink and when i have had a bad nights sleep. my doctor put it down to anxiety but nothing helps!

• Edited

Hello to anybody still suffering.

I googled around recently because I found myself with the same issue.

Never before had it happened and I was sure I had something wrong with me.

I'm not doctor, and there still could be a complication but these things helped me a lot.

1. Reprogramming my brain to TRUST that the breaths I do take in, are sufficient. Easier said than done I know, but it's about telling your brain that if breathing in at all didn't start making you choke or cough then there can't be anything seriously bad with your lungs.

Take a second before you take the next breath, you don't have to stop breathing or anything but a the few shallow breaths before your deep one are fine. When you're working out, or just set at a task, you don't notice how much you actually do this. Only once you start to concentrate on your breathing do you feel the need to take a deep breath every breath.

2. This should actually be number one, BREATHING THROUGH YOUR DIAPHRAGM. Your stomach should push out when you breathe in, and retract as you exhale. (Shoulders shouldn't raise when you breathe) For me, this has been key. I find myself breathing through my chest all too often and its such a poor way to breathe in. I find I can always find a more satisfying breath when I use the Diaphragm. (If you are sitting in an awkward position, try standing up.)
    3. Some extra things I find helpful beyond just this issue, just for healthy breathing generally...

Breathing exercises in the morning !(Youtube some)

If you are like me and suffer from anything else (asthma) or you have an animal product rich diet (diary, eggs, some meats) that can produce extra phlegm in your system, using a Portable Nebulizer with some essential oils like Eucalyptus, Peppermint etc. Can really help lift anything off your lungs, clear your sinus and help you breath clearer overall. (Steam treatment is the same thing btw)

Speaking of diet, bloating can also make breathing difficult, so be careful what you're eating and drinking.

I hope any of this helps, Its starting to help a lot for me. I've hated the Journey of this issue, It's almost as if my brain got addicted to the satisfaction of an oxygen filled deep breathe, try some of these things out and maybe you'll reteach your brain that all the breaths you take are good.

• Edited

hi malcolm!

i think brain will slowly realise that sighs are not required anymore! we just need to be patient! the more we stick to this issue, the more overwhelming it seems!

• Edited

I too have been suffering from the same thing, started seemingly out of nowhere on October 9th. I did recently start exercising but, not certain that has anything to do with it. I went to the doctor and had chest x-ray and blood tests done but everything came back normal. She originally prescribed albuterol inhaler thinking it may be exercise-induced asthma but, later decided that it may be more psychological. It doesn't bother me while I am sleeping or while exercising and I noticed while out with friends and drinking it didn't seem to be bothering me but, otherwise it has been pretty consistent throughout the day. It is very frustrating feeling this way every day. Any ideas on how to get any relief from this would be really helpful.

• Edited

For the longest i thought i was the only one. its good to see that there are people that understand me.... i read through these comments and was like "YES! Yes thats exactly what im going through" the relief.... i too had 2 EKG's 2 blood tests and a chest X-ray.... all came out normal. i wasted time at the ER and now i have a 2000 dollar bill.... but at least its good to know im fine.... im starting to believe it really might be anxiety.... ive been having panic attacks going on 3 months, symptoms like hyperventilation, chest pain, left arm pain (which really gave me a heart attack scare), ive just been afraid for my life.... but running into this thread hearing that we all had tests come out normal.... we might just be allowing ourselves to go crazy... i came to just read, but after reading how much i relate to all of you i just had to share my experience.... i wish you all the best and may God bless you all in Jesus name

• Edited

hi. I am a 25 year old female. I have had this exact mysterious breathing difficulties for 18 months now. also been told anxiety or unknown for quite a while. had heaps of physical tests done though and it comes to me being obese in the abdomen and diaphrame area of chest stopping your lungs opening and taking a full breath. I also have to take these stupid deep breaths all day long at least every minute and that's when its good l. even when I lay in bed or just sit and relax I am still severely short of breath even just bumming around this is weird . this happens right from waking until I fall asleep. it's killing me. I know exactly the pain you going through.

Are you by any chance overweight? I am planning to go for lipo suction or something to remove this issue. it has also dramatically decreased my quality of life and ability to enjoy, relax and hold or job or anything really lately. I have finally recently found the exact thing that really really helps with reducing the suffering alot however does not 100% take it away but helps manage it much better until I can get liposuction or possible sleep apnoea treatment.

I will suggest that if you desperately need some relief or at least reduce your suffering use a bit of THC. don't know how exactly it helps but mann it has toned down my absolute suffering quite a lot. also works as a bit of an antidepressant which the breathing causes so I actually temporary feel happier and more positive. even actual antidepressants like prozac or lexapro didn't do a thing. sometimes the natural treatments work better than the pharmacy designed drugs i assure you. all the best please chat to me anything I am very keen to talk with you all going through this.

bless you all

• Edited

Hey all,

My theory is that this is probably psychological / behavioral. Like cracking your joints or stretching in a certain way. I also crack my joints and would be very uncomfortable / almost in pain if I wasn't able to crack a certain joint when I had the urge to crack it. I think it's similar to this, that our bodies get used to a certain stretch sensation (maybe in the lung tissue or diaphragm) and the brain gives us signals of discomfort until we achieve that particular habit/stretch. I may be wrong, its just a theory. My possible solution (also just a theory, could be wrong) to this would be to try to train myself to survive longer and longer without those deep breaths, as if I'm kicking a bad habit. I anticipate it would feel like training myself to last longer underwater without breathing, because the feeling gets that intense if I don't manage to get that deep satisfactory breath in, almost like being underwater and getting that air hungry burn in my chest. I hope this helps me, and anyone reading this.

Best,

Jimmy

• Posted

just stumbled across this while googling the above symptoms

on 10th Nov i was told i had breast cancer. from this day i started with the urge to take deep breaths and yawn if i was unable to feel i couldnt get to the bottom of my lungs.

my ECG was clear when they listened to my breathing that was also clear.

I dont feel out of breath and my breathing rate is normal, its just bloody annoying.

i feared that it was because the cancer has spread to my lungs.

i spoke to my nurse who said its subconcious stress management, like my body is coping with what news i have been given.

• Posted

yes i have the same problem i try to tell my people whats happening but they just say im crazy that means that this problem is really not a problem its really just are brain trying say something wrong but really aint nothing wrong

• Edited

hi there!!

So basically the same bot as you but i started feeling like this ocotber 2nd went to the hospital they told me i was fine ran test everything cane back perfectly fine. I went from working out 5 times a week to just being depressed because of this and not wanting to do much since its 24/7 some days tho are so much better than others. of anyone knows how to cure this lmk!! has anyone tried taking antibiotics for this?

• Posted

Good morning,

I was prescribed antibiotics around the same time this started, and it didn't help a lot. I developed a URI, then bronchitis, then pneumonia. It's been a rough two months for me, but no the antibiotics really didn't seem to do anything(for me anyway).

• Edited

hey im in the same situation i used to be really active and had a gym membership however this same problem stopped me from going. i have had every single test they could do (heart scans, ecg, chest xray etc) and they reassured me i was completely fine and have nothing to worry about, remember you are NOT going to die i promise. some things that help me when i feel a big urge to get air are...

• get an ice cube and hold it in your hand for 10 seconds, then rub it on your neck for a few seconds then rub it up both you arms. do this until you feel its gone

• stroke your arm up and down for as long as you need to, i do this when falling asleep continuously

• fill a big bowl with freezing cold water and ice cubes and put your face in it, any sudden change in temp with bring you back to reality

• when you get this feeling in your head or out loud tell yourself 'im okay, there is nothing wrong with me. i have good health and this will pass, i am not going to die i am okay' repeatedly

• this is one that i have just started doing as i seen another person in this thread post this method and said it has pretty much cleared it after just a few days, you kind of have to fight against your urge. so for a few days whenever you get this strong urge fill your mouth full of water and let the urge pass, as it passes gulp small amounts of the water until its all gone do not allow yourself to take the breathe that isnt needed. this will eventually end the cycle as your brain will get used to not taking the breathe anymore

i hope some of this helps! i also find distracting yourself going on walks, reading a book, colouring helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.