Please help diagnose this condition!

Posted , 3 users are following.

My brother presents with the following: 

(Note: He is a forester and has exposure to pesticides, spiders, mold and trees. He suffers from epilepsy) 

Pain started in the left inner thigh, 

moved up and around abdomen and back.Level 10 

Left leg tingling and hurts to touch lightly. 

A syrinx in the spine 

Lesions on the lower lumbar region on the spine. 

High level of white blood cells in spinal tap fluid but cells look normal. 

Dc. Just said it looked like transverse myelitis 

But that does not tell us what the lesions are. 

They are trying to avoid doing a biopsy due to the risk. 

CAT, Spinal tap, MRI  all completed at least twice with no definitive 

diagnosis.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What treatment has been recommended?

Has he had ESR and CRP blood tests that have shown high inflammatory markers?

I'm not a medic but it does sound like an autoimmune condition - have Lupus and psoriatic arthritis been ruled out? 

As he is a forester, could he have been bitten by a tick, leading to Lyme Disease?

Perhaps he could be trialled on a short sharp dose of steroids which might provide an answer if it relieved most of his pain in a very short time? 

• Posted

Thank you for your insights. Steroids have helped. They are rechecking for abnormal lymphoma cells which may not have shown up before.
  • Posted

Hi Laura, I am sorry as I am going to be of no use at all, but I know how frustrating it is to see a loved one in pain and not know how to help or where to go. My husband is still suffering after 5 years of a back injury and no-one appears to be able to pinpoint the problem. This won't happen to you as I am sure it is just a matter of time before the Docs work it out,  I hope that your brother is diagnosed soon and out of pain.  Good luck to you both. xx
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.