Please help, do I have Globus sensation

Posted , 7 users are following.

here goes this is my symtoms , I keep swallowing and constantly clearing my throat, I feel I have to do this as I have a knot in my stomache and feel I can't breathe, does any body else has this , I'm so worried and every day life is so hard ...

thanks for listening x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, swallowing and trying to clear your throat is a symptom of globus sensation to try and ease the lump feeling in the throat. The more anxious you are the greater the sensation becomes and it can feel like you are being strangled. Mine was triggered by acid reflux, so I take medication for that. All I can say is that it does improve in time when you realise there is nothing in your throat. If you are still worried ask for an ENT referral so they can reassure you there is nothing in your throat. How long have you had the symptoms?
    • Posted

Thank you Amy for your reply, I have suffered really bad anixity since nov , I'm on sertraline now and on and off think I've suffered post nazel drip, just last couple months feeling bad with Globus and it stresses me out as with constantly swallowing my stomache get all tight and feel it's hard to take a deep breath xx
  • Posted

Hello,

I have this globus now as I am replying to you. All I can help you with is to try some  warm compress or better yet run the warm water in your throat in the shower while trying to blow kisses to the ceiling.Relieves me almost 100% of the time.

It also feels good to eat or drink even small amount will make a difference.Read somewhere that accupuncture can help alleviate the discomfort haven't tried that yet.I don't even know what anxiety or panic meant til I had this.It would be reassuring to know that you are not alone.

Keep it out of your mind. I try to keep busy ,  i rearrange the furniture,listen to relaxing or meditation music,light some candles.What I try to do is trying to focus a little time for myself.

Take care for now. I am just  a message away.

• Posted

Thank you, the more I swallow and cough the more anixious I get , do u get really tense in Ya stomache and feel u can't breathe properly x
    • Posted

My stomach does somersaults when I worry about something. Anxiety also effects the breathing. Is that what you mean?x
    • Posted

Silly as it may sound to some, I talk to my body parts , I tell my tummy   I need to take this antiinflammatory medicine for my arm pain so be kind to me.I tell my tummy it's not fair for you to get all my attention.  Yep That happens to me, it's the butterfly in the stomache kind of feeling but for me it's not butterflies it's more of a dinosaur , I get up in the middle of the night becase of this.  You could be sufering from LPR.It would be wise to seek your GP's advice.
    • Posted

Yes Amy , but also like a knot and feels like a little earth quake lol x
    • Posted

Laryngopharyngeal reflux, it's a  a condition where the contents of your stomach are going back. You have a bitter or mettalic taste. It is the favourite cousin of GERD or gastro esophageal Reflux Disease which I used to have which was controlled by Omeprazole , once in the morning , I used to burp  a lot , Bloating,popping sound in my ears or throat when I swallow, and of course, the globus sensation which totally and continuously ruining my life and i don't know if it will ever go away. You've come to the right place. I find my support here when I am really hopeless. There's a lot of contributors here wherein you can learn a lot from their personal experiences .
  • Posted

I have exactly the same thing, Ive just started medication for my anxiety and all of a sudden got this feeling. My doctor said it was a side effect of the tablets, but im not conviced. I have it after eating meals, and at night. Its a horrible feeling to have, feels like i cant breathe and constantly have the hiccups and burp alot more!. Got to keep telling myself it will get better, hope it clears up for you soon x
    • Posted

Which medication are you on for anxiety? Sounds like acid reflux to me.
    • Posted

i am just wondering will you quit your job to get cure with that ?

i have suffering about this feeling and i have no job and i am not sure if i should go work or not because i don't know how long does it take to get cure with this feeling . do you have any advice for me ? thanks

• Posted

I too have the exact same symptoms and have just thankfully stumbled upon this discussion. I have had no investigation only food allergy testing which obviously came back clear. Is it worth going down the ent route? Only to find out its anxiety which is making my life hell, I hate wasting people's time, my doc says it's in my head, I feel like screaming as its happening after every meal and at night, I've only had it since January and hoped this thing would have cleared up by now, I really feel for all of u that have this, my friends think I'm going crazy - maybe I am 😭 x
  • Posted

Hi.  This is my first time posting to this group.  I firmly believe that globus is a response to extreme stress.  I first got symptoms of this over 25 years ago when my son was diagnosed with a terminal condition.  It came on very suddenly and was very frightening.  I had a barium swallow x-ray performed and there was no physical reason for the lump in the throat and the inability to swallow completely.   The radiologist said he had seen this many times in people who were dealing with anxiety disorders brought about by either a sudden shock, prolonged stress and even unresolved grief.  For me this has all been proven true and while it is very frightening at first it will rise and fall from day to day, week to week.  I do not suffer quite so much now but if I suppress my fear of a situation, grief or even reasons I am not aware of... back it comes.  Deep breathing can help as can a damned good cry!! Not sure how others describe this sensation but for me it like being a little kid trying "not to cry", that lump, swallowing and trying to make it go away.  Some people benefit from anti-anxiety medication and I did for a long time. I have been able to manage it now by myself and getting more in tune with how I am feeling and responding to things.  This probably won't help, but you need to know what will give you "relief" and you need to figure out what is causing the anxiety. It is an unlucky draw. Some people get globus and others migraines.  I have found that a lot of people with globus are very self-reliant and very capable people who don't always admit that they are struggling.  Be kind to yourself smile  
    • Posted

Can I cry? sad This is exactly  me. you said it exactly as someone who is actually feeling it right now.Wondering whether there's a cure for this or just what you've said it's an unluicky draw one day here one day gone. Constantly sighing and breathing out to feel relieved.

Thanks.I wish studies will be funded to find a cure for this.

Can't really tell what's going on with my mind as my train of thoughts is suddenly lost. But i am happy to find something like this.

Wishing and hoping we will be free from all these.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.