Please help.. Does anyone else suffer with abdo pains & depression?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone else have severe stomach pains caused by or along with depression?

Any advice stuck in a vicious circle sadsad

Pain is so bad everyday

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have many diagnosed mental health issues (depression/ anxiety/ OCD/ PTSD/ insomnia).

I also have IBS.

My IBS is much worse during periods of extreme mental health issues... Pain.. Cramps.. Everything.

I think it's nature's "flight or fight" response kicking in... Well that's what I've been told!

Under stress, sadness, exhaustion, sometimes the body kicks in to primal mode and expels either what is making you feel ill, or expels it anyway to make you lighter and so, more easy to flee.

It's utterly awful; sickness and tummy upsets can result.

Unless you have an underlying medical condition and already receiving treatment, speak to you're GP; they may be able to help.

X

• Posted

Most likely to be stress related IBS lisa, reacting badly to stress causes the adrenal gland to go into overdrive producing too much cortisol, which in turn can cause acid reflux, irritable bowel and a few other digestive issues.  Try firstly some anti spasmodic meds like buscopan or colefac.  Then try something like meditation or yoga which will calm your system and help ease the stress.
    • Posted

Hope it eases off for you soon, it's nasty and uncomfortable isn't it.  Do take heart that if you can find some way of relaxation and helping to be calmer, it will ease off.  I have 'episodes' of really vicious stomach pain and it's usually a reaction to me stressing badly about something.  I also found the meds I was on - citalopram - messed up my digestion, so maybe whatever meds you've been prescribed could be having an effect.  Forgot to add, try also ginger tea, it's awesome for easing the bowel and also good for relieving pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.