PLEASE HELP - Does or did your PR look like this when angry?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would really appreciate any help as I am going slightly mad with this now! GP is [i:0ba72c1c0c]convinced [/i:0ba72c1c0c]it is ringworm (and yes, it looks like ringworm) but I have tried two different treatments and my rash is getting worse and spreading further every day.

He would not even entertain the idea it was PR because my 'herald patch' was not on my trunk, but on my right forearm. I had this mark for 3 or 4 weeks before the rash showed up anywhere else, which makes me think it just [i:0ba72c1c0c]must[/i:0ba72c1c0c] be PR.

Can anyone put me out of my misery? Did your PR look anything like this when angry?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/tracee84/DSC08209crop.jpg

Please keep in mind the marks in the photo are a few weeks old and I had made them angry by washing (god forbid this infection allows us to wash!!). To begin with they were smaller but have since dried out and become ring-shaped. On my stomach and back the rashes are just red marks and [b:0ba72c1c0c]not ring shaped[/b:0ba72c1c0c].

It would be great if I could go back to the GP 'armed' with some information that PR [b:0ba72c1c0c]CAN [/b:0ba72c1c0c]look like this. Does or did anyone at all have similar marks?

Thank you so much.

xxx

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there!!!! i have had pityriasis rosea for 4months now and at the beginning they appeared as tiny red blemishes. Now my rosea actually looks worse than yours. Bright red on the outside with a tinge of yellow in the inside. I have found though that the next stage is when they start to scale and eventually get better. I still have lots and lots of new marks, but this is how the pityriasis rosea seems to dissappear. the only treatment i have been using is the nizoral anti dandruff shampoo. i have asked my gp for something else but he believes that there is no need and wont prescribe me anything. i'll post pics at a later stage andyou can judge for yourself.
  • Posted

Glad to hear you finally got it sorted out! It does look alot lke ringworm, but not sure what your doctor meant abuot it not being PR because the herold patch was not on the trunk, mine is on my forearm!
  • Posted

[quote:64b2fd5c3c=\"mustnotscratch\"]Glad to hear you finally got it sorted out! It does look alot lke ringworm, but not sure what your doctor meant abuot it not being PR because the herold patch was not on the trunk, mine is on my forearm![/quote:64b2fd5c3c]

Thank you smile It's [i:64b2fd5c3c]still[/i:64b2fd5c3c] not completely gone, but I'm hopefuly the last few splotches on the tops of my arms will fade to nothing soon.

Yes, it's quite worrying that GPs don't think outside the box that is their text books.. PR by definition creates atypical reactions and often looks like ringworm, he could have at least acknowledged the possibility of PR straight away. You're the third person just on this forum who has said their herald patch was on their forearm. We need to educate more GPs on this infection!

• Posted

this is so mild in comparison to what i have ....i have to wonder if i even have PR then

mine is like acne bumps/pimples and then forms that patch like scaley look and is much more red than what you've shown in photos

I think it is related to stress as I was stressed and had little sleep and wasn't taking care of myself diet wise

• Posted

i have just started a weeks holiday, at home luckily, and have been diagnosed with pityriasis rosae.it looks pretty alarming and is not at all itchy.i have in the past had shingles which is very itchy and painfull,so pr is not so bad.on a lighter note, when i showed my upper body rash to my drinking mates they thought it was hillarious calling me spotted dick ,spotty mulldoon and various other spot related anicdotes.swines.
  • Posted

I am a 40 yr old female and have recently been diagnosed with pityriasis rosea. I first noticed a small mark that looked like a bite on my right arm on the inside elbow joint. About 5 days later my back started to itch like crazy. That was two weeks ago tomorrow. I went to my doctor on the Monday as it had got steadily worse over the weekend and he straight away diagnosed pr. He prescribed antihistamine and nitrazol cream. Since then I have come out in more rashes everywhere except my face, soles of my feet and my lower legs - although I do have some on my feet. The last 'crop' to come out were on my neck. I have been back to the doctor today and he has prescribed more of the above and also some hydrocortizone cream. I am still very itchy in most places and have been the whole time. I have also found that I am very tired and most of the time am cold. When I went to docs today when I took my top off to show him his words were 'my god, that's bad!' 'No kidding!' I thought. He has now referred me to a dermatologist. :cry:
  • Posted

I had the herald patch above my knee probably 3 months before the polka dot hell infected my body.

Right after Christmas I noticed my arms had tons of red dots, thought it was psoriasis. few days later, everywhere. stomach, back, legs, tops of feet, arms and hands. I think I even have some on my face and behind my ears. This really is the most awful thing because I feel so self conscious, its like I'm back in a teenager high school mentality. Its April now, almost 3 1/2 months and its still here.

My arms were raised and over the past month have flaked and now are just red/pink. my legs seems to be the worst, and I feel like new spots are still coming.

I've tried tanning in a UVB bed which made the ones on my chest go away, but now new ones have come back. I don't think I was super aggressive with the tanning, and may go back in and try to fry them off again. People may say this isn't safe, but its warm out, I can't wear short sleeves or shorts cuz I look like a leper. Hope one day someone can figure out how to get rid of this in a timely manner.

• Posted

I started off with two little bumps and then in turned into what looked like a ringworm. The past Friday the doctor looked at me and said I had PR. He just told me to lay out in the sun everyday. I have been laying out the past two days and haven't seen any improvement. I keep getting more bumps everywhere. I feel really sad and embarrased to show my arms and legs. It looks so ugly and I have to be covered up to hide the ugliness. Unfortunately it has also affected my hands. I keep crying because I feel so depressed. I have read that physical activity will make it worse and I love working out everyday. I can't even go to the gym because it looks so ugly. It is very warm where I live and I would look pretty ridiculous with long sleeves on at the gym. I am going to try going to a tanning booth. I just wish this craziness would end really soon. smile
  • Posted

Hi

My daughter has developed some rushes about 10 days after we rescued a kitten and brought it home. The pediatrician intitally thought it was an allergy and prescribed Aerius. Since it was getting worse, we went to an allergologist. She said it was psoriasis (spots) and started antibiotics. Then we went to a dermatologist and she said it is pytiriasis rosea and it is not contageous. A few days afterwards the cat was loosing his hair and went to a 2nd vet and said the cat must have mucosis. He did a test, but the results are not yet known. Then we discovered that my son (age 14) has also same patches and my husband also got one patch the same as those of my daughter. Then 2-3 patches (smaller ones) appearred to me also!!! We made a skin test to my son, daughter and husband and no mucosis was found! We went to another doctor and she also said it is PR, and it can be contageous... However I cannot believe that the fact that the cat has mucosis (most probabaly) is a conincidence... Any idea anyone? Can it have any connection with the cat?

Can PR be so contageous that the whole family has got it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.