Please help, does this sound like Lupus?

Posted , 3 users are following.

A quick background. My grandmother and my aunt both had Lupus. Both have passed 75 and 66 respectively ), but neither from lupus. Since the age of 14 I've had occurrences of stiff joints where I couldn't raise my arms above my head then 10 years later started getting brutal bouts of swollen a wrists, elbow, knees where I couldn't even move them for a number of days. These would always subside within a few weeks. I always just figured it was normal and battled through it. A few times I asked the doctor passively about Lupus, but didn't take it any further. Then in 2004 I did some blood work and had an elevated ANA level, something like 1:1/320? I may have typed that incorrectly, but my doctor st the time said that's high. Over the last 12 years I've had off and on tingly feet and hands, usually on one side of body along with a tight face on same side. What's concerning me now is over the last few months I've had more occupancies of left side tingling etc in my feet/hand/face. Since December I've had constant ringing in my ears. The last 2 weeks I've been experiencing hot rushes down my butt into my legs usually when I'm sitting. I've also started getting very cold feet the last few days with really tight calves. I try not to worry, but could this be MS? Even though I've had all the previous symptoms and I'm not weak. I have no vision problems and don't feel clumsy etc. I think I'm just looking for some feedback to put my mind at ease. I'll be going for blood soon and am fully expecting a high ANA test which is ok. I'm just trying to try and not think about MS. Please help with any comments, experience, and feedback. Thanks you- Jim.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi, yes this could possibly be Lupus or a similar sort of auto immune disease. Lots of overlap in symptoms. I have Behcet's which is very similar and can relate to a lot of issues you discuss. 

The scary thing is you can get a lot of neurological symptoms....mine primarily were neuro. This is what leads some people to think of ms. I obviously am not a doctor and can't diagnose. I just want to reassure you that you don't have to go down the route of terrifying yourself that you have ms. We've all been there. I feared that too prior to diagnosis. Particularly in view of your family history and blood results....Lupus looks like a strong contender. 

But obviously you must get to see a rheumatologist and get a proper diagnosis of what is going on.

• Posted

Hey there. Thank you so much for the reply. Yes it scares me, but many of my symptoms I've felt many times before over the years. Ive never had weakness, vision issues or clumsiness etc. I just worry and fear the worst.

• Posted

Hi Turow9763

As well as an ANA test have you had an ESR test ERYTHROCYTE SEDIMENTATION RATE blood test which tests for high levels of inflammation in the body....if you have high ANA and ESR your doc should refer you to a Rheumatologist for a firm diagnosis.....best wishes....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.