Please help feeling extremely scared

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 20 years old male. Had loss of appetite from 5 months and occasional abdominal pain. Various tests including lft and endoscopy done in December last year but everything was fine. Now gastroenterologist advised to do abdominal Ultrasound. Feeling very scared what could it be. Also read on various sites that pancreatic or Liver Cancer can cause this and can be in last stage by the time it's discovered. Crying a lot in isolation. Anyone had similar issues please advise.

I'm so so worried can't keep my mind away from it. Parents are very annoyed with me. They say it's all in your mind. Just thinking everytime what will happen to me.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I would stop googling symptoms because it will lead to a anxiety. These conditions you are worrying about are rare at a young age. Google doesn't take account of individual circumstances and is very general. So you are unlikely to get accurate answers. Only tests and your doctor can give you a proper diagnosis. Take it as a good sign that your previous tests have been negative. Has your doctor made any suggestions as to what condition it could be?

• Edited

Doctor said it's probably gastritis but still he had written an Abdominal ultrasound. That makes me more worried as i think he is not sure what my problem is.

• Posted

Gastritis sounds like a likely cause, but it usually shows up on an endoscopy.This may be the reason he is looking at other tests to give you a definitive answer since these other tests are clear. This is normal practice for a doctor. If your doctor is unsure, other tests are done. Your doctor being unsure, is not a reason to worry. It is better for your doctor to keep his options open rather than to decide on one condition without checking on other things first. It sounds like your doctor is being thorough which is reassuring.

Abdominal pain has many causes and as such can be difficult to diagnose. It took three and a half months to get a diagnosis for my abdominal pain which was generalised and moved about which made it hard to pinpoint especially after many inconclusive and negative tests. I had multiple visits to several doctors before IBS was identified.

• Posted

Sir i also feel back pain intermittently which scares me more. but it's not at one spot. Sometimes it's on left lower side sometimes on middle back at a point and sometimes on upper back at a middle point like thumb

• Edited

You can get back pain with gastritis; I also had it with IBS. Try to stay as calm as possible because worry makes gut problems worse and will not give you answers any quicker. Pancreatic cancer is very rare for someone of your age and if it was advanced, you would most certainly know about it and would not be able to function.

• Edited

To put your mind at ease get another doctor's opinion.

• Edited

Hi Aries4

An ultrasound scan is a run of the mill routine examination to see what is going on in your abdomen. The idea you have in your head about it being Pancreatic Cancer is unfounded. If your doctor suspected that he/she would have done blood tests on your pancreatic enzymes. That is the first port of call if PC is suspected. Trust me on that because my partner had PC. You are far too young to have PC and there is no way you are in late stages of PC because you wouldn't have the strength and be far too ill to even write your post on the forum. Stop stressing because this will make your symptoms far worse. Wait for your Ultrasound Scan which is not invasive and will not be stressful. Wait for the result and take it from there. In the meantime if you are managing to eat check what you are eating and drinking as much of the time certain foods or drinks can be the culprit....and see if and when you get the pain...

• Posted

Thank you Mam for your advice. I was just worried thinking about it. today i was also having left side lower back pain which triggered my anxiety more. Although it could be simply muscular pain or something but every new issue makes me terrified.

• Posted

Hi Aries4

Can you think back and recall what you were doing and what was your lifestyle and eating habits prior to the onset of pain. Do you do a lot of exercise or anything whereby you need to exert yourself? What about your job? Do you take multi vitamins and drink plenty of water. If you are deficient in some vitamins such as Vit D Vit C or BVits in particular B12 you can get gut problems. Don't be terrified, you obviously suffer from health anxiety. Try and do some relaxation techniques when pains come on...all will be fine i am sure....your just a worryer...👍

• Posted

Yes Mam you are right i do suffer from health anxiety but this time it has taken a toll on me. Actually I had back issues even in the past but this time the back pain is occurring on lying down although on the lower back area but still panicks me. But thank you everyone for their kind advice. It gives some relief in the moment of extreme scare. I don't know what would show on the Ultrasound but just hope for the best.

• Posted

Actually I have cold and fever from 2 days. Can it be a cause of the back ache. It occurs when I am lying or sitting against chair or sofa. It feels like a dull warm kind of feeling in the mid lower back slightly above the lower part.

• Posted

If you have a virus, flu or the cold, it can cause body aches all over, which can include your back. Have you had a previous back injury?When my IBS started, it caused lower back pain which made my back injury worse. The lower part of the colon wraps around the base of your spine and if you are having colon spasms, this can cause lower back pain too. I don't know why your back pain starts while sitting or lying down. You will need to ask your doctor about that. My back pain feels better while sitting or lying down but worse while standing. When walking about, it eases it. Sometimes, sitting or lying down stiffens my back.

• Posted

Hi there, when you say abdominal pain, is it like cramps or a stabbing pain or more aching? Have they done blood tests at all?

• Posted

Hi Kileen it's just very mild and comes for a while and then goes away. Most of the days there's no pain. yeah doc had done Liver function test, Complete Blood picture and Various other blood tests along with Endoscopy. All came back clear.

• Posted

For the past 12 months ive had odd stomach issue, bloating, rib discomfort, back ache. I have had so many tests done including an abdominal ultrasound. Everything has come back clear, the doctor is putting it down to IBS. I also suffer with health anxiety and noticed that the more i worried about it the worse my symptoms got. Over the past month i have made a conscious effort to try and not worry about it, i have been taking probiotics and inulin and that seems to help me. My symptoms have definitely got better since relaxing. I would go and get the ultrasound just for peace of mind but how you feel sounds awfully similar to how i was feeling and alot of mine i do believe is stress and anxiety related. I know its easier said than done but try not to worry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.