Please help - Frequent urinating and occasional blood in urine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all ,

I'm literally scared to death that I have bladder cancer . I've been needing to go to the toilet nearly 40 times a day to pee, sometimes only a very small amount but the pressure in my bladder feeling is always there .

Also , about two months ago there was visible blood in my urine , it went the next day .

I'm very frightened and wondered if anyone has similar experiences to me 

I had an MRI scan last year but not sure if that shows bladder problems .

Thankyou !!!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a urinalysis done to see if you have a bladder or kidney infection? Either one could cause the frequent urination, pressure and bleeding. Better to see a doctor and get diagnosed and treatment started rather than stressing out about what it could be. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Liz, 43539 

How much coffee do you drink?

I am 73 and with not drinking coffee my pee time has reduced  

• Posted

Hello! Sorry about your bladder woes. Have you you been tested for a UTI? Checked for a yeast infection?

Had any recent ultrasounds? In the meantime you may want to adjust your diet: cut out stimulants like caffeine and alcohol and try a low acid diet. If all testing/exams are clear, you might consider the possibility of interstitial cystitis (I myself have this) or vaginal atrophy (I don't know your age so I'm just guessing at this one). I hope you have an answer amd treatment plan soon!

• Posted

Hi Amanda ,

Thankyou for replying .

I've had an ultrasound of my uterus but not my bladder . I'm freakimg out big time because a doctor was concerned about the bleeding . It's very very occasional . It's the frequency and pressure that's having a big impact on my life .

I'm 41 years old 

• Posted

i thought maybe interstitial cystitis, does this cause the pressure and frequency? How would they test for this ?Sorry for all the questions.
    • Posted

Don't worry about the questions, totally natural. Interstitial cystitis (IC) is usually diagnosed by ruling out anything else and often with a cystoscopy (an endoscope inserted into the bladder). Sometimes ulcers or tiny tears in the bladder lining are seen during a cystoscopy and they can cause pain, sensitivity and decreased urine capacity. OTC Azo or anything similar can help, but stay away from cranberry juice. Acidic foods and beverages just exacerbate the problem. IC can cause bladder pain, increased frequency and urgency (I have it constantly but it's improved after changing my diet and starting Elmiron), bladder spasms, burning sensations in the bladder and urethra...not everyone has every symptom, though. It's a really weird and misunderstood condition. I know it's scary and painful but it's better to know what you're dealing with and have a treatment plan, then you can start to heal!?

• Posted

Thankyou so much for spending the time to reply in such detail Amanda , I'm very grateful . I wonder did you ever have very occasional bleeding with I C?

I don't have the pain but I have spasms and pressure and constant urged to go .

• Posted

Hi, Liz! I've never seen any blood but all three urine tests since my diagnosis in September have shown trace amounts of it. I've read that it's not uncommon for some IC sufferers to occasionally see blood in urine.

• Posted

Thankyou Amanda , I am waiting for my cytoscopy appointment now , scared to death 🙈X 

• Posted

The scariest part is not knowing and imagining all the possibilities (ugh, I remember!) I wish you the best of luck and a full recovery, Liz!
    • Posted

Hi Amanda ,

I was hoping I could bug you again with another question .

I have been booked in for a rigid cytoscopy now in two weeks , I can't even tell you how scared I am 🙈

I was wondering , with your condition did you have pain over the bladder area . It's like a constant ache and also stabbing pains ?

Thanks again !!!

Lizzie x

• Posted

I've been lucky enough not to experience pain too often but when I do it feels deep in my pelvis. It doesn't radiate outside of the bladder area except when I have urethral burning. It can feel like anything from a dull ache to a knife twisting in my bladder. I've been reading up on interstitial cystitis and lots of women do have pain throughout the pelvic area. One thing I've learned is that you need to treat the pain right away; the longer you wait the harder it is to ease. Hyophen really helps the bladder pain and Azo helps with burning and sometimes urgency & frequency. Heat and ice can also help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.