Please Help! I am a new member and been on citalopram for 4 months now

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone. I have been diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder. I am very concerned of what is happening with me.

Actually I have been taking Citalopram 20 mg for 16 weeks which means 4 months now, and like 2 months after I start taking it I started to feel like a difference in my condition I had good days my panic attacks stopped and I thought I was recovering I had my confidence back also to go somewhere near...not far at all.

Then suddenly like a week ago I had a very bad panic attack again and since that day I started again with this episodes of palpitations and nervousness sweating in hands all the time also I am feeling like a heavy heart or chest which is so uncomfortable ...I really don't know what to do.

I have read that we can get blips but I really don't know how can I feel sick suddenly after doing well for some days.

I really need someone to help me and guide me. Or if anyone has been in a similar situation? What should I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hi, I've been on citalopram for years and i'm on my second blip just now. I originally started on 20mg which really helped with my depression/panic attacks, then years later I had my first blip where I had to increase it to 25mg again it did help me but just recently I have been through a lot of stress and have started having really bad panic attacks so doc advised to increase to 30mg. I had really bad side effects so cut the tablet to 2.5mg which it has taken me two weeks to slightly feel better along with taking diazepram when I need it. I think its pretty normal to have blips, i know it can be scary and think your going backwards, that's how I've been feeling but when I read some of posts it gives me reassurance that we will get better, it is a very lonely journey. Maybe speak to your doc re. dosage. Stay strong. 😊

• Posted

Thank you very much for replying.

so you had this blip but was years later I am experiencing it within this 4 months ... sometimes I feel like maybe its not a blip and the medication is not working or causing me this symptoms its so so confusing and hard..

I was really afraid since I did not know that clearly about the blips. It so hard to handle after you feel a bit better and then all of a sudden you feel again the symptoms coming... I really don't want to increase medication because I remember when I started it I was in a really dark place those first weeks..and I am afraid if I increase I will get the side effects again....hope it eases for me soon

• Posted

hi sami !

Your nervous system is recovering and still adjusting to the med. It has always taken me about 3 months to feel a little better and around 6 months or longer to get back to myself and it just keeps getting better after that. i have been here a few times but I am no dr. this is just my experience.

I am currently in a tough place also after tapering down and starting back up on dose.

If there is no life or health threat i would hold at that 20 mg for at least a few more months. same dose same time everyday.

when drs and everyone says recover in x weeks just change that to months. we are all different and some do recover in weeks but from what i see its months mostly.

excercise and mindfulness breathing

hang on!

• Posted

I really really hope this is the case. I have really suffered a lot and I know all of us does in this situation but its so so hard to live with it. I hope it is a blip and i could get better and better and then recover completely with this medication.

Can you share a bit of your experience?

I mean I got really scared because I had this bad panic attack after feeling much better and that got me bad because i was thinking I will not have panic attack anymore or at least not so soon.

Can I ask if you also had any panic attack in your blip like inicially when you had your first blip?

Then after that panic attack I am constantly feeling the palpitations again which are really scary also...so its like a rollercoaster so so annoying. Sometimes it really feels so lonely like i am the only one feeling all those symptoms and like I am going crazy.

I hope you could share your experience and thank you very much for replying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.