Please help I had surgery for a cystocele and retrocele repair 4 weeks ago today and I need advise2

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had a cystocele and rectocele repair done 4weeks ago today and need advise from anyone who has gone through the same i am worried i have done something that might have caused it to fail if so what symptoms would i be experiencingi am stillvery sore vaginally as it was done thru there i have not had much bleeding except for the oacking in the hospital first night i had to fly from ucla to boise next day and fly back 5 days later to have cath removed i ended up in er for severe pain spasms after first flight home and after second i ended up with severe infection in chest sinuses with terrible cough and was pit on antibiotics and prescription cough meds im still hurting when im up or walkibg vagina hurts as well as low back my dr told me i could use my premarin cream yesterday but when i triedto insert applicator into vagina didnt want to go in and im worried its now small and wont be normal for sex i have mesh in my belly that needs to be removed next that was from umbilical hernia and feels like its pulling and burning itching hurting more now than before i try and do nothing but rest i did have to help someone on my flight home so i pray i did not ruin my surgery i can pee fine and not leaking just still so very sore i can poop better although still taking myralix to keep soft i dont see how anyone can avoid bending when getting in and out of bed not picking up things from floor or cleaning husband has been great i feel like im worse now than first 2 weeks stitches hurt pulling vagina sore and why is my low back sore? what symptoms would i have if i ruined it? please help im in my 50s and just want a lifemesh in belly is killing me need dr to remove it my dr assistant even authorized me to take baths im confused thought it said no baths for 6 weeks please help! thank you for reading this

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Tanya,

I had a anterior and posterior repair done vaginally just over three years ago.

I'm sure your recovery is going fairly normal you are in very early stages. You have to remember you have had major surgery to a highly sensitive area with lots of nerve endings. The pelvic floor supports the weight of all your pelvic organs and is trying to heal right now.

First 2 weeks should be as if still in hospital mainly resting. After that gradual build up of normal activities:

2xin walk per day (see how it goes)

making light lunch

maybe next week add light dusting, another 5 min additional walking and so on.

Absolutely no lifting more than 500ml/ mug of tea, but as weeks go on try a little more see how it goes, no hovering or ironing or lifting laundry baskets or shopping in early weeks.

Just try a little more every week and see how it goes your body will tell you if your ready or not.

I did not feel near normal till about 12 weeks post op and even then still had a long way to go. I think having both repairs at same time if takes a wee bit longer too and we all take different time to recover as our prolapses are all to different extents and therefore surgery to different extent.

If really worried get your GP to check you over even if to just put your mind at rest, but they can't usually tell if successful until much later as it takes months to heal and you will still be swollen until at least around 8-12 weeks. I was told that they measure success by the ability to resume sex and they asked that question at post op. It took me much longer than expected as they had really tightened me up this time.

Try not to worry for now and rest, rest, and rest some more and give yourself time to have a good recovery it is after all your long term health that is more important.

Listen to your body and try not to over do things, good luck,

take care,

Phyllis x

• Posted

5 min walks to start building up to 2 x 20 min walks by 6-8 weeks but only if your body is ready.

• Posted

I had same procedures done, one year (anterior) and 1. 1/2 years (posterior) ago. I could not imagine traveling as you did so soon after surgery. I think it possibly made your recovery a little slower. However if your bathroom functions are working I doubt you have damaged your repair. You are very early in your recovery and will continue to be sore for many weeks. I panicked many times during my recovery but all is well, although I STILL get sore from time to time if I do too much. Scar tissue from the rectocele repair seems the aggravate the urethra. Have to be patient it's a long recovery. Hope you feel better soon _you have a lot to put up with right now,

• Posted

hi hun

I would def go back to your surgeon to get checke. d. a cough early can can cause the repair to fail but I dont want alarm you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.