Please Help, I'm Absolutely Terrified of Sleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello and thank you all for taking the time to read my post. I'm here in desperate search of help, I'm thirty four years-old and developed a fear of sleep when I was nineteen years-old after a major surgery. My life has been ruined by this, I'm scared that I will die in my sleep so I go days without sleep and when I do try to sleep, I'm tense, shaky, anxious, and sleep becomes impossible. I feel all kinds of weird sensations when trying to sleep and when I do sleep, it's not refreshing at all. I noticed that I tense up immediately upon laying down. I will bring my ears up to my shoulders and have to remind myself to relax, however, I cant. I use to love sleep, it was my medication for everything. Head hurt, go to sleep, not feeling good, go to sleep, emotional, go to sleep, scared, go to sleep and everything would be better when I wake up. And it always was, when I could not count on anyone or anything, I was able to count on sleep. Now I'm terrified of it and have been for the past fifteen years and no one has been able to help. I have a daughter who has only known me as I am. Moody, angry, no energy, scared, short tempered, anxious, always yelling, and zero patients. This is not the mother I'm supposed to be, she deserves the person I was before this started. I'm currently going through a really bad time now. I have barley slept in the past 4-5 days. maybe 8 hours total. I'm at my wits end, I want this to be over so that I could live my life and be the mother I know that I can be. Because of my sleep phobia I have not be able to hold down a job or finish school, however, after trying for fourteen years, I was able to transfer from a community college, to a university and completed my first semester this past Fall 2019. I start Spring semester 01/21/20 and I am terrified that my fear of sleep is going to hinder me again. Does anyone have any advice? I tried therapy, however, each therapist seemed uninterested in helping me, I'm scared to take medication, so that's out of the question and I'm to anxious to do meditation. If any has any advice, please let me know.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Try drinking a glass of hot adult formula milk 1 hour before sleep. It might help. If you could drink 2 glasses a day but space it out or you end up going to the toilet middle of the night.

Google how digital devices have blue light which disrupt sleep. Try install apps like twilight to switch your phone to block blue light and see if it helps. You could also try not to look at digital devices 1 to 2 hours before bed. It does disrupt your sleep. You might want to try getting a pair of block blue light glasses and wear it few hours before sleep. It will help.

Soak your feet in a small basin before bed in slightly hot water. It helps too.

Magnesium oil sleep spray also helps. Lack of Vitamin D can also affect sleep. You can try taking liquid vitamin D every morning but not afternoon or night as it will keep you awake.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.