Please help, I'm so depressed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I have been using 125mg fentanyl patch for 3 weeks however i felt very depressed on them, having hallucuniations, bad dreams, anxiety attacks, in fact i felt so ill. i went on holiday for 2 weeks and got a nasty chest infection and had to go on anitbiotics, when i came hime on friday i took the patch off as i felt awful and knew i was having a panic attack and side effects from the patch. It has left me feeling really depressed which i never was 3 weeks ago, can someone please tell me that this feeling will go away. the fentanyl should be out of my system by now. thank you

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies, it helps alot. I was put on fentanyl patches for my arthritus as bupenorphine wasnt working, i had the patches on for just 3 weeks and right from the start i felt strange, bad dreams, wanting to go into the past, death thoughts, depression and anxiety. I went on holiday for 2 weeks and developed bronchilitus and was hospitized. I didnt realise what the paches were doing to me until Friday when i got home frm holiday. I couldnt breath, i was punching the walls, pulling my hair out i just coldnt control myself, i was so scared that i called the ambulance. wheni got to the hospital my blood pressure was sky high 245/148. they sorted my chest out but i couldnt get it through to them that i was having an attack with the patches. I took thepatch off myself on the friday night. By saturday morning i had the physchiatric nurse turn up but she realised straight away that it was the patch. Eventually i saw the DR who said that i had to wait to get the fent out of my system. well i am day 4 now and i have been back to my Drs as i still feel strange and depressed, she had advised that  i take just diazapam just to take the anxiety away and she wants to see me in a weeks time, hopefully the fent will beout of my system and they can start me on new meds for pain, but no way will i evere have morpihine again. Thank you for all your messages it has really helped to think that i was not alone xxx
    • Posted

Thank you for the update Hayley.  I was thinking of you this morning and your struggle.  Glad you got some help.  I love alone and so many times I feel isolated but then I discover how many people fight the same things. Praying each day will get better.  Try to exercise even just a few leg lifts laying in bed and arm curls help me a lot.  Till another day.  Susan
    • Posted

Haleyclaire -

Write to us whenever you want. Someone is usually around.

I'm so glad you found help. Let us know how it goes...

Melissa

• Posted

Just checking in to see how you are feeling. I know cold bad weather makes it more symptomatic. I hope you are making some progress to recovery.
  • Posted

I feel for you and am thinking of you. I am 4 weeks off and suffering from pain and restless legs that are painful. I also have a sprained ankle and found compression socks are helping the aching legs. I know this is withdrawal because both legs ache. I found this helped by accident. Please don't give up and we are here for you

• Posted

My restless legs and arms hurt so bad! I know how you feel Carol. That is my biggest complaint. Wishing you the best-

Melissa

• Posted

My dr gave me this compression sleeve and it really helps. I just ordered three pairs of socks. Why didn't someone mention this sooner. I'm so desperate I'm trying everything

• Posted

Are they compression socks that go to your knees? I have severe Lupus joint pain and the restlessness is making the pain so much worse.
    • Posted

My reply is being reviewed because I mentioned a link for compression socks. Got them online and they go to the knee. The sleeve the dr gave he cut off a roll. I feel so much better already and my legs ached so awful and keep me up all night
    • Posted

Amitriptyline 50 mg really stops the rellsess lege for me. Wish I could reach out and give you some. It really worked..
    • Posted

Is it a prescription. They put me on Ropinole or something like that. Does nothing I also am out because I sprained my ankle and tore ligaments. I thought it was a good time to get off fentanyl. What was I thinking. If o could just fix the legs
    • Posted

I'm on Ropinerole too but it's not really helping. Trying to get dr to increase dosage.

• Posted

I saw the other reply for Amitriptyline and found that is Elavil. I was on that in 1986 after an accident and made me crazy. I don't know about upping your dose. You could always try 1.5 or 2 and see if it works. I'm on low dose. I wonder if this has to build up in your system to work. Shame we all have to be our own doctors. I take twice a day. I did find hear work for my legs but then amps up the pain in my ankle. I had a meltdown at the doctor today. Guess that is why he didn't have me return to work yet. Now they may not hold my job. This is enough to make anyone suicidal. Especially after 28 years and never put. Ugh

• Posted

Dear God Carol, yes it is a perscription, but if my doctors will give it out here in Amarillo I would think you should be able to ask for it anywhere, and get it. It sounds to me like your symptons are simular to comming off Methadone. I had all of what your describing from that, and Morphine helped then kicking the Morphine was a breeze for me. The truth being some people have a much more difficult time coming off meds then others. I was lucky perhaps because my pain is so intence that I let the horrible disscomfort of that help over come the withdraws from other narcotics I guess. 

PLEASE REMEMBER THE THREE DAY RULE, AND MOST OF ALL IN YOUR CASE BELIEVE IT'S TRUE.

Believe you made it through the three days,, and try to believe that some of this horror is psychosomatic. Stop running from this monster, and believe it wont catch you. Strong doses of Gabapentin will calm you down as well if you can get your hands on some, and please believe everything you try will help some,, because the monster is only a paper draggon.. Don't forget many others have won over this feeliong you now have. You must find a comfort zone and you surly will soon.

Just visiting with one of your favorite, comfortable, people, that have been through even a portion of what your going through will relieve you even after you temporrarly part from them for the day. Believe that these symptons have stopped suddenly for many as though a bad dream has ended. Your stronger then it is for sure.

• Posted

Thank you so much. Everyone around me feels I should be better because it's been a month. They are idiots and fortunate. I realized your on Elavil. They gave me Prozac and xanax of which o am taking neither. Okay I have that motto I am woman hear me roar. I can do anything and don't need anyone. Yes I am pig headed. Today started bad but it's seems much better. One day at a time. I appreciate your reply. It's encouraging. Maybe I need a cruise to get my mind on a good place

• Posted

Hi Carol one month is fantastic with.You did a super long taper. I could not have done that at all. I'm too too impatient. Be Proud you are a success. I am three months now. I didn't get much RLS but I wear fabby dabby made to measure (from Germany) grade 2 compression stockings 24/7 curtesy of my local hospice. Mine go up to my thigh and I have others that are tights as I have lyphodema in my pelvic too. If I didn't wear the stockings I do notice a big difference.That may be the reason I didn't get much RLS.

It may be that you have hit on another way to deal with RLS.

I had Amitryptilline, some diazepam, loperamide, gabapentine, oromorph

Gabapentine I took a few times then stopped when I saw the issues folk had with gaba addiction, oromorph was a non starter as I can't absorb it.

I remember when I got to a month it seemed there was a sort of empty feeling. DID LIFE HAVE MEANING ?  I guess the feel good receptors in my brain were needing filled. It was as though I was looking for something that wasn't there. Would it Fentanyl ?  YES, it did improve and no longer feel like that. fentanyl messes with our brain. Excersise and comedy movies are needed to raise your natural seratonin levels.

Keep going. Melissa is right behind you --- on day 3- 4 so she is at critical mass and doing sooooooooo Well toooooooo. She's cracked it.

My pain isn't much worse than with the Fentany,l so it wasn't really doing much despite its strength.

A cruise sounds good especially to warmer climate. Its freezing in Scotland xx

• Posted

Three good days in a row with no major restless legs or pain. I think I have beaten this and I think the total time was about 5 weeks. I know there will be ups and downs and I am afraid each day I will wake and be back two steps but for now I'm taking one day at a time. I never thought I could wake up one day and feel somewhat normal. Never did I expect an overnight change. Still on pain pills but down from 8 to 3 or 4 a day. I never thought I could make it

• Posted

Way to go Carol!  I am so happy and proud of you!  There is a growing group of us on the other side now.  Thankful I was there and more thankful for six months free of fentanyl.  I still see improvements each day of my old self returning.  I to still take a pain pill two to three times a day but hopefully since that is so much lower I may one day get off them.  If not ?I am happy and thank this support group and my Savior for pulling me thru.  Keep texting so we can follow each other for continued support.  Again Congrats!

• Posted

Susan

Thank you so much and I don't think I could have done this without the forum. Everyone as my support and much better than therapy. Time to cut up the 12 patches I have and say goodbye for sure. I found this group through desperation just searching the internet for answer and it worked. There are so many like us that need the help. I hope to continue and help others now. I think it needs to be one day at a time. May we all have a blessed 2017.

Carol

• Posted

You can get there but don't think about how long. Just focus on one day at a time. I do a lot of light stretching exercises which helps. I found a hot bath is a no no as this stimulates weird nerve endings. The best part is it just happened over night so don't despair that each day may seem bad. Rain and cold does seem to be a setback but it's tolerable.

When people told me it took many months I wanted to give up. Then I suddenly had a pain free day. Still on 3-4 vicoprofen a day but once my sprained ankle heals I am very optimistic I can start doing more. I've gained a bit of weight which is depressing but that can be dealt with in time. In fact I starting back on WW today which will certainly help my mental state. I do still feel a little head foggy so I have to force myself to get moving. Please do not give up hope and keep focused on your ultimate goal. My brain is relearning how to deal with firing nerve endings and it is improving. Hang in there and try baby steps for each advancement. Thinking of you and sending a big hug

Carol

• Posted

Thank you Carol. What I'm having goes on 24/7 not just at night. All the nerves are waking up so you know what it's like. I just called and made an appt for tomorrow with my neurologist since my doctor isn't that interested in anything but getting me off Fent no matter what, so I'm very thankful for that because I know she'll help me. In my primary dr's defense, he did put me in Requip but it isn't working. Funny you should mention hot baths. I decided last night to try our jacuzzi thinking it may help. In fact before the night was over I was in it a couple of times. While I was in there, it was great, in fact, I dozed off for a bit. But - after the second trip, my legs and arms really kicked in. But I've been having severe RLS/arms all along but this was overdrive! While I'm desperate for sleep and wish I could just stay in the spa I'm not sure it's worth the after effects. But a lot of folks swear by getting hot showers for RLS which I do also but not much help.

Ive had a bit of pain in my life but I've never had neuropathy but I'm sure I have it now. It's a burning, sometimes itching sensation. Very painful. But I asked Actiq and he agrees that after 12 years of nervous system depression, the nerve endings are coming alive. I'll just be glad when it's done.

I'm in day 8 with no Fent. I take occasional Lortab but only have about 5 left and my dr is not prescribing any more.

Thank you for the encouragement. The honest truth is I could never do this without the group. From teaching me how to taper in the beginning of July to now. I really believe God sent people like Actiq and this group to help me. Thank you for being part of that.

Melissa

• Posted

My RLS was all day long for the first 5 weeks and then it just stopped one day. It's off and on now but more at night. I got the requip too but didn't seem to do anything. It does cause me to be very congested when I take it which is supposed to be twice a day.

If you are 8 days you may still have a little way to go. I had two weeks of flu symptoms and all over pain. I was on fentanyl for 16 years. I was told my brain needs to learn to produce dolpamine. This came from my orthopedic. Looks like it's finally kicking in for me.

Please stay positive and try to move you limbs as often as possible for exercise. Stretching eases the nerve pain but keep it really simple at first so you don't have to deal with muscle pain as well. Sending you lots of good positive healing hugs

Carol

Since the spa makes you get relief try a cold shower when done. I know the desperation to just get a few minutes of relief. I read others had my problem and a cold shower after prevented the subsequent leg pains. If that is too much maybe some cool clothes on your arms and legs. Keep going girlfriend as you will find relief in time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.