Please help is it depression or bipolar

Posted , 3 users are following.

Please can someone help. I have been getting treated for depression for just over a year. I was on flouxetine but didn't do anything so I am on seraltine I think it's called but I don't know if it's working. Some days I can be on cloud 9, everything is going right and I am happiest girl alive. Someone can say something to me that I don't like and I completely lose it. Take for instance other day my bf said something so silly and I just argued and argued and even grabbed a knife to put to myself. I've tried the counselling and didn't work. I habe under active thyroid as well and am due to see doctor on 10th. Do I mention this bi polar to him and see if he thinks it. Please someone help

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I just saw your post there and it rang bells with me so thought I would reply. I too have an under-active thyroid and my moods have been all over the place for years. I also know that it affects my period and I have to take high levels of evening primrose oil every day otherwise I would completely lose the plot every month. But I still have severe mood swings any day of the month and I am sure it is because of the thyroid levels affecting my hormones. It does control your metabolism and since the tablets just give you the same dose every day I'm sure that they can't possibly regulate the body like the actual gland does. I hope that makes sense! I would still tell your Doc if you are worried, but I think it is more likely due to the thyroid.
    • Posted

I really hate this feeling. Although my bf is supportive he said he feels he can't cope n e more and I do feel im gonna lose him
    • Posted

All I would say is def tell the Doc you feel like that, and maybe see about having your thyroid levels checked again if they haven't been for a while. Apart from that I would suggest you try taking evening primrose oil too. It can't do any harm. It's made a huge difference to me. I take 1000mg every day, and every time I have run out and not taken it for a while I would definitely say my mood swings get worse. Hope you can get it sorted. Best of luck X
  • Posted

All I would say is if you visit a doc,try not to go in with a preconception of depression etc. Tell them your probs,ask for a referal to psychotherapy to get a proper diagnosis. Gps aren't really qualified to make mental health diagnosis, and they aren't actually allowed to diagnose bipolar as its such a long and detailed diagnosis. For what tis worth I dobt think your symptoms sound like bipolar

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.