Please Help Me!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had Epilepsy for over 10 years now and its been hell!

My wife Blames me for everything, becoming Epilepsy, my mood swings, my anger.... yes I have not been the easiest person to live with but all I have ever asked for is support and help.

She will not get educated on Epilepsy to understand what I am going through. All she does is blame me. Its got so bad I have thought of ending it all more than once.... 

I need help. please

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It must be frustrating for you when your wife will not try to understand more about how complex Epilepsy can be.    You admit you are not the easiest person to live with and have anger issues.   I've found a really helpful group on facebook with other epilepsy sufferers which has helped me a lot it's called Epilepsy chit chat Don't give up you can get through this there's help out there for both of you.
    • Posted

Hi sorry to bother you. I have been diagnosed epileptic with predominantly 'grand mal' episodes and the medication seems to be keeping these at bay. My concern is I am in the 'infancy' of a serious relationship & I have explained the situation and how this presently itself. He says that having read up on all this etc and says he will cope with it etc but there is a possibility that I have have an 'episode' when we may be in public, with friends etc and I have an seizure.

Even though he says he would cope with it & the priority is me etc but even with all the research etc unless you have experienced in reality it is not the same

I don't think he knows what this could be like.

I am really trying to tell him to get out and move on and find something more real.

The really funny thing is that I'm a doctor!! And have experienced this on one side and seen what it is like!!! Now I am in the other side!!! It is not pleasant in private so I can only imagine what it is like for someone else to see it.

Arggggg

• Posted

Hi John its great that you have been able to talk things through.  I know it's a great worry that you have a seizure and whether the reality is different. My best friend was with me lately when I had a seizure in a crowded pub.  I thought she would not cope but she was fine and looked after me till I felt more myself.  I thought she would have went too pieces.  Your in the beginning of a serious relationship. Give it a chance he deserves that. Don't push someone away because of your fears.  Hope things work out for you.
    • Posted

i have your 'seizure' thread 'bookmarked' elizabeth.. think you've had that appointment you spoke of by now ..will come back to that soon but this message is just to say "good reply" to jasons sad post!
  • Posted

this must be really hard for u...and your wife too. maybe you could take her with to your doctor and he can explain that your behavior is all side effects and all that. best wishes with it all!

Sarah

• Posted

and elizebeth.....i would recomend you give him a chance,he deserves at least that! best of luck to u both smile
  • Posted

hi jasons

..ouch!   sadly an all too familiar tale.. i live alone so can't speak of the dynamics of your home relationship but it has to be said epilepsy sure is a perfect hook to hang any number of troubles on!  i know i can be a li'l stinker but it also takes some effort and understanding from people around.. particularly those closest to you.. if you're going to get through it without wanting to bang your head on the floor with the frustration of it. ..it's painfully clear that 'by your side' support is precisely what you're missing.   the 'epilepsy playground' is a lonely enough place as it is without having to go through it solo.    my heart goes out to you - to both of you.. 

as to what you might do?  i can only offer a few thoughts that she may consider useful.  given that neuro are never there when seizures drop by to give me a kicking, they're always asking for "witnewss statements" from friends, relatives.. anyone who can help by describing what they see - from the seizures themselves to all the mood, frustration, confusion, indecision - probably even a measure of 'being coshed' by meds - stuff.

might you be able to persuade her to take on the role of your 'diarist'?  she could perhaps then also get her own frustrations and no doubt very real difficulties out into the open where you can both pick over them.. easier to talk over when things are written rather than in the heat of the moment.   that too could likely assist your neuro fella (or lass) - your wife's difficulties could give much needed colour to it all rather than you simply presenting the very "black and white" seizure diary, if you do one of those.

and might she even go along with you to your next meeting with your neuro consultant?  it's not a case of needing the hospital to say yes ..in fact, they encourage it.  as i said, they need all the background they can get.  if you could brief them ahead on your difficult 'side issues' they would, i'm sure address that with both of you too.

ok.. nearly there - have you heard about the 'adult epilepsy nursing service' ..never used it; may not even still be there or may just be a local thing but they struck me as both useful and normal.. can't say that for some of the medical bods i see! ..haha   check them out.  plus try epilepsy specific support groups online or locally.   jasons, whatever else be assured that others have walked what seems at times the same hopeless path you're stuck on ..turn your head away from finishing yourself as a lost cause, cos you so ain't!   sure it must seem a long way up and out of the hole you're in but you can do things to try ease the climb.. please, if you can. any thoughts like that should be left many miles away.  in the meantime there's much to be getting on with.

last, last, last thought.. how about selecting a few choice threads, posts, discussions, whatever ..here for certain, youtube, online?  make them easy on the head for your wife to absorb - it doesn't need to be 'heavy' - and see if you can sit down together and go through some of them.

for now i'll wish you well and keep an eye on your page.  good luck jasons.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.