Please Help Me!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please give me your thoughts on this .

I'm a very anxious guy when I take my blood pressure , first reading is usually around 145-155 over 85-94 , however , when I take them BACK TO BACK ( no wait time between readings) my blood pressure goes all the way down to under 120 over 80 . I have read a couple of things these last couple of days leading to believe those readings are wrong because the arms need to rest so the blood vessel dont contract as much . 

I finally decided to follow the rules yesterday and wait 5 minutes for my first reading and then take them at 2-3 minute intervals. MY BLOOD PRESSURE STAYED AT 145-155 over 85-94. This is extremely concerning to me because all along I thought it was due to anxiety.

I have two blood pressure machines , one with the large arm cuff and the other is a wrist one .

Whenever I take my wrist blood pressure the first one is high , however, as I continue taking them back to back it goes down to normal ranges . 

While I understand how the arm cuff one cuts blood circulation , the wrist one does not seem to do that and I have no idea what to think.

Whenever taking my BP at the arm cuff I am very anxious with a heart rate of 100+ . The wrist one is ALOT less intimidating to me so my heart rate on the wrist one is usually 70-90 .

Could it be possible that the wait interval is causing my BP to stay the same because the anxiety buildup right before it take it?  

I just turn 21 , I eat healthy, weight lift 5 times a week, don't smoke, rarely drink . I do have a family history of HBP , my mothers dad died from a stroke . I just can't accept the fact the my BP is this high , I deep down feel like is anxiety but I truly don't know 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I wish I had answers for you Eduardo but I don't.   I was told to get a cuff monitor as the readings are more accurate.  Your anxiety is probably a factor in the high readings.  You are so young to have high BP even though there is a history in your family.

I suggest you wait longer between intervals to take your BP and try doing some breathing or relaxing techniques.  I read that most of us don't breathe properly and something simple like breathing and being quiet can make a world of difference.  Try taking it at different times of the day and  no more than 3 times a day and maybe not every day.  Do you have a doctor?  What does he/she have to say.  

• Posted

And of course, don't take your BP at all for at least an hour after any kind of heavy lifting. 

And in general, sit down quietly for five minutes or more before even the first reading.

Even your high readings aren't horrible.

Oh, and if you actually have muscular arms, any reading is liable to be less accurate, especially upper-arm readings.  The wrist - well, the wrist meters have a reputation for poor reliability, I've never even tried one.  But even the wrist *must* cut off circulation briefly, that's how the whole thing works.

• Posted

There are endless meditation practices that can help one address anxiety.

If you have the focus and drive to weight train 5 times a week, you probably already have the foundation skill sets to be as successful in a meditation practice as you currently are in weight lifting.

• Posted

Mine can be the same.  I think a touch of white coar syndrome at home.    Your BP readings are not that high.   Go to the dr and seek reassurance maybe a 24 hour monitor would help.
  • Posted

The first one normally tends to be the highest. Some suggest you take about three readings at 1 minute intervals and then take average of the three. I've also seen it suggested that you ignore the first one altogether. Also anxiety won't help at all.  I should know.  I think I could worry for England!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.