Please help me advise needed!! Diverticular disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello everyone 32 male very new to diverticular disease and really struggling mentally and physically i am after some advice on what i am going through ATM. long story short always been well and healthy but have really bad pain just to the left of my belly button (I can almost pin point it) for the last 7/8 months. Had a ct scan which come back as mild diverticular disease and booked me into have a flexible sigmoidoscopy 2 weeks ago. had a letter today from doc saying all was normal with sigmoidoscopy and wouldn't need to see me again and no follow up? so does that mean live with it?.... in between both scans I was given antibiotics to see if pain would go but to no avail. I have changed my lifestyle ie good diet and taken it easy with work etc. so my question to the forum is with diverticular disease does anyone else feel pain say 85 percent of the time to one specific spot to the left of the belly button or anywhere in that area? my pain is slightly reduced when passing stools and wind but can always feel it.or is this something i have just got to learn just to live with? thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my mess of a discussion!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am sorry you are still suffering. I myself am new to this disease and my pain is always in the appendix area, but has definitely be diagnosed as diverticulosis. My thoughts are that you should go back to your doctor rather than suffer this without knowing what exactly is going on. I do hope you get more information, knowing what is going on is half the battle. Good luck, Jenny

• Posted

The gold standard for diagnosing diverticulitis is a CAT scan-- also, have no idea why you had a sigmoidoscopy. Physicians prefer colonoscopies so they can view the entire colon. As far as location of pain goes, It may be different for each person. I read that the pain is usually in the left lower quadrant of the belly. I truly think though that you should have a CAT scan the next time you think you are having a flare to get an accurate diagnosis. It may not be diverticulitis --or it could be. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.