Please Help me Balance my Diet with Levothyroxin 150mcg

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all !

Heres a brief background I was diagnosted with a Hypo thyroid back in 1995 as I was always a hardcore athelete playing hockey  5 days a week and still had all the typical symptons and was even putting on weight  .

In the 17 years of taking thyroid meds  I never felt it did anything for me symptoms wise but in the few years I stopped taking it , it actually got worse and I'm currently on 150mcg .

The thyroid ultrasounds look fine for the last six years so thats not a issue and I dont have all my current test number but the only thing slighty elevated not high was my cholesterols .So heres my questions as so many things I read contridict themselves like eating almonds or kale ect so can anyone suggest a balanced diet for a 51 year old otherwise heathly still active male that has 10 lbs he has to lose around his waist while taking Levothyroxin 150mcg ?

Please be very specfic on what and what not to eat heathly wise good or bad as I avoid all junk food as a rule anyways and I juice once a day but now Im confused whats healthy anymore being on thyroid meds.

Im also gonna try taking my Thyroid med at bedtime like others suggest and once again thank you all !  Anthony

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Anthony the best way to answer this is for you to check out diets on the internet. The most important thing is a well balanced digestion system. Probiotics are a great start. They remove bad flora and replace with good. You will experience diahrrea. Use olive oil and only use stevia for sugar replacement. These are my tips I hope it helps. can you expand on taking your medicine at bedtime. All I hear is to take as soon as you swake and don't eat for an hour and dont take any other meds for 2 hours. This is not working for me. I truly want you to get better and anyone else looking for help in this area. I have never had a health isue that has been so over whelming. Barbara

• Posted

Hi Barbara and others who may read this  ,

Well I figure less is more so right now heres my diet : for protiens I going with light tuna fish in water with a few whole grain crackers , almonds , granola type cereal or oatmeal , for fruits but not alot mangoes , bannas ,grapefruit ,apples and for veggies I juice either brocoli or kale carrots , beets , ginger root , and red grapes or apple as a sweetner .

I still play hockey three times a week and very lightly workout 3 days a week and use my Thera sauna one a week to clean out toxins when Im not able to get in that exercise .

Well knocking out all the other crap I was eating even in the small quanties or after I worked out my bodies metabolisum feels like it was kickstarted again and I dont feel sluggish  as those glutens and sugars even a little really messed up the balance for me .

And to answer your question Im only on my second day but taking my thyroid meds at night really seems to work for me as I always worked night jobs before I retired .

So from 6pm to 12 pm I eat nothing then I take my thyroid at midnight night and I then eat light at 4am and I go to bed at 7am and  then get up at 1pm .

I mean I did it the way you did for 17 years and it was always a struggle as I went to bed full because I couldnt sleep on a empty stomach but then I woke up sluggish and hungry and then having to wait a few hours before eating was rough .

Im sure most is my better diet as Im energized and ready to go but we are what we eat but when and how I take that pill really seems to have helped especially with my vampire lifestyle lol hope this helps .

• Posted

Another update : I gotta say cutting my calories and taking my Levo pill at night has really been working well for 4 days now as I have fewer eratic mood swings or sluggishness and depression .

I mentally feel read to go and not withdrawn which is very nice as it seems food became a crutch for me to balance my issues with my unbalanced Thyroid .

For those struggling with diet and thyroid its just like any other weakness so I only keep healthy food in the house so out of sight out of mind because when you do get weak its not around so set yourself up for success and good luck !

• Posted

Well on day 5 and Im feeling as good as I have in years and I attribute that to taking my Levo pill at night and cutting ALL GLUTENS OUT OF MY DIET !

Even a little messes me up and with exercise im burning off calories again and

Im not even having moods swings , depression or eating erraticaly so hopefully I finally beat this horrible condition .

• Posted

Your diet and self control are to be applauded. This is not an easy thing by any means. I can't tell you how happy Iam to hear your'e doing much better. Keep up the amazing work. Barbara

• Posted

Thanks and I couldnt of did it without all the help from this site ! but I feel alive again and my metabolisum is actually working again and I know there will be good and bad but the most successful thing for me is to keep bad things out of the house !

And its funny I dont eat anything that I dont checkout for gluten  first so I finally have some self control and no processed items either so I keep it simple eat when Im hungry small portions and I sleep when Im tired .

I been on thyroid meds for 17 years and uptil now I never understood how much emotinal damage it did to my live and loved ones as I could be outgoing and strong and then weak and insecure in a moment so Im kinda surprised it doesnt get more press as its really a horrible disease thats not easily understood .

• Posted

Update : On day 10 Im still doing pretty good but I kinda hit a wall because if I try to exercise more it can cause me back problems so instead of looking at it as a diet I see it as a lifestyle change  and I havent looked back as its now or never .

So just like when I started by taking my levo pill at night and staying gluten free I will now have to see what I can safely do to up my game to another level so controlling calories better will have to be it so I can continue to keep my metabolisum active .

The best thing is by controlling my emotions through taking my pill at a time that better suits me is I dont have the terrible up and down mood and eating swings which is so important for me .

Im trying to look down the road and all the bad things associated with hypothyroidiusm so thats my biggest motivation and it scares me that I wont have much control of things so at least this way Im not a helpless victim ! Well good luck to all . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.