Please help me diagnose/recognize my Mom's mental condition!

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Help…

I have a problem with my mom.

She was always a very intelligent, tactful and responsible person. During my childhood, teenage years and adulthood (along with my younger brother) I received a healthy dose of love, help and visible engagement in my everyday life. I consider myself a valuable human being capable of doing good for others and the environment. It goes without saying that my mom played her part well in process of my upbringing. It breaks my heart to watch her change and simultaneously lose everything that she worked for her whole life.      

At the moment, because of these behavioral changes, my mom is losing her job, friends and her rented apartment…

The first step to help her is DIAGNOSIS but after reading and educating myself in psychiatry a little, I come to the conclusion that this may be the most difficult if not impossible step since there are as many theories as there are people…

That’s why I decided to write this with the hope that somebody, somewhere experienced a similar ‘’Problem’’ and recognizes the symptoms.

Thank you in advance.

MY OBSERVATIONS:

Current ailments and observations:

Memory problems, lack of focus, energy loss, behavioral changes, primitive lies, illogical thinking, lack of responsibility and consequences for (bad) decisions, repeating the same story many times, avoiding doctors, loneliness, some delusions (e.g. “this car is not safe to drive”, “the ceiling is going to fall down” etc.), random fears, bad diet (repetitive fast food habits), listening to the same music CDs (‘’on repeat’’), swaying from side to side, nervous tics on the face-mouth (dissatisfaction), lack of tact and good manners, deteriorating personal hygiene and neglecting household duties (saving up on water and dirty flat), "racing" from traffic light to light as if life depends on it(i.e. fast, reckless driving), excessive saving on basic things (water, food etc.).

Positive observations:

Lack of speech disturbance, lack of sleep disturbance (7-8h), generally in good mood, neat and well-kept appearance.

Possible factors and triggers:

Loss of 2 beloved dogs (2y ago), numerous conflicts with partner over last 20+ years leading to divorce and moving out from him (8 months ago), second son's departure from family’s home (7 years ago), father's death (13 years ago), grandmother's death (4 years ago).

Additional information:

The patient does not believe/is aware that there is something generally wrong with her. She is not aware, (rejects idea) of occurring psychological changes; admits to problems with memory only (the only category of sickness which she doesn’t avoid treatment and help).

Duration:                    about 1-2 years (according to colleagues from work)

Initiation:                   mild (according to family and friends)

Course:                       The symptoms seem to slowly aggravate

Severity:                     The patient does not seem to suffer but the ailments  greatly harm social and occupational everyday functioning.

please write to : 

Jack 

Thank You.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jack, I would try and rule out any 'physical' problems first. I don't wish to scare you but neurological problems spring to mind (tumour, early onset dementia etc).

• Posted

Hi Jack, it's difficult to come to any conclusions apart from the fact dye is not well. 

My suggestion is you go and see your GP and express your concerns and go through the symptoms and see what your GP suggests you do. It's difficult if your mum first want to can't acknowledge there is a problem and hence go yo see her GP but your GP will have come across this many times and will know what to do and may well be able to give you some idea of a diagnosis even if it's just an educated guess.

Keep posting Jack.

Neil 

• Posted

Hi Jack,

I would suggest you call your/her doctor immediately it would be best to try to take her to see them as soon as possible so the doctor can see what the next step should be. If not you could talk over the phone with your doctor and see what the best step would be for you to take. It could be a mental health issue (although I kind of doubt it if there have never been symptoms before) or it could be a neurological problem. There are tons of things it "might be" and no one can diagnose without seeing and talking to the patient.

• Posted

Jack, you must be so very sad witnessing your mum's health decline. So many factors including her age and a possible genetic component.

I am bipolar one, and I can identify with some traits and behaviours. However, I would come up with a plan and consult with another person who your mother likes, to get your mother to the psychtrist.

Easier said than done I know.

The other route is pending on the laws where you live have her committed, just until she is stable and then have community supports in place for her when she gets out.

I know it really feels horrible but she is not safe to herself and others when she is driving reckless.

I know your worried sick and I am genuinely sorry your struggling.

Believe me it she will get worse and it can happen in a blink of an eye. The longer the illness is left untreated, the harder it is to treat. Years of mental illness, hospital lock up, and many drug treatments, I can honestly tell you the sooner you get her in the hospital, her life will be more manageable.

Kind Regards and please take care.

B

• Posted

Glad you are so concern of your moms health to be honest i face deperonlization/derealization so i can feel your mom in some way i would suggest to see a GP and mabey brain scans but if you moms health is healthy and seem not to have anything but she still feels the symtoms i wouldnt suggest it becuase im sure it not a mental disorder that cant bs spotted becuase it sounds like you mom really has something going on so i really dont think its some sort of disorder related to anxiety or depression but if no other choice i suggest a theapist but im not sure and i wish your mom many blessings and give her my love and tell her i said to be strong and she can fight this...!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.