Please help me - doctor is dismissive

Posted , 7 users are following.

My nightmare started at the beginning of February this year and continues as I type this. I will try to give you a brief but thorough description of my (possible) shingles experience, but since I didn’t realize at the time the massive ordeal this would be, I didn’t pay attention to some things that probably would have been helpful:

First weekend in February: starts out fine except I notice a few bumps around one of my eyes. They remind me of pimples/acne but they are on my actual eyelid and the area around my eye. Couple of days later, these areas look a little better, but new ones are popping up. Again, only around the eye.

Second weekend in February: Pattern continues. One or two will show up, start to heal and a new one or two will take its place. Never in the same exact spot but consistently around the eye area and nowhere else on my face. This time, I get one or two near my left eye. Finally decide I will make an appointment with my doctor office hoping she can give me something to help these bumps.

2/11/19: First doctor appointment: I don’t see my regular provider and I am diagnosed with a contact dermatitis of some sort and given a prescription for Triamcinolone and I am told to not wear any makeup around my eyes as that was probably the culprit and would irritate it. At this point I will admit I did not follow the doctor’s orders. I continued to wear some makeup, but I needed to work and needed to cover up these bumps all over my face! Plus, I knew I had not used anything new that would have irritated my skin and prior to this I NEVER had any ongoing issues with pimples/acne/rashes etc. I used the cream all week long and it was no better. The same pattern continued. By Friday I decided to follow the doctor’s advice. I was home from work with my sick daughter so I decided not to wear any makeup all day and for the rest of the weekend to see if this helped at all. During this entire time I had been feeling a little stressed at work, but this weekend was the worst of all. Long story short, my daughter was very sick and by Sunday my pimples/bumps were now a full blown rash all around my right eye.

2/18/19: Second doctor visit. This time I see my regular provider. Doctor looks at my face and says I have Shingles. She hesitates briefly only because she said Shingles never crosses the midline and because I had bumps around both eyes she wasn’t sure. She said the right eye with the definitive rash made her believe it was Shingles so she prescribed Valtrex 3times a day and prednisone 50 mg for 5 days. Literally within hours of taking the first anti-viral my face looks 100 times better and the places around my eye are drying up fast. I continue to take my meds and I work all week but try to not overdo it and definitely not stress. I only have a few places on my face that attempt to pop up during this week. I would see something in the morning but it would be gone by midday.

Sunday, 2/24/19: I wake up this morning and the right side of my face burns near my eye. When I look in the mirror I can see four or five places starting to pop up. This the last day that I will take my anti-virals but I finished my prednisone already. I had to leave to go out of town for a contract job with the state so I am freaking out about my face but unable to do anything about it. I guarantee stressing about it didn’t help and by the evening I have a cluster of spots near my right eye and some now on my cheek and traveling down my neck. I apply calamine lotion and buy as many over the counter remedies I can find.

Monday, 11/25/19: I call my dr because I am out of town and explain what is happening. I assume I need more anti-virals or something since the bumps are appearing again. At my left eye I have started to get two bumps to add to the circus of bumps all over the right side of my face now. My dr says the reason I broke out again was because she didn’t taper me off of the prednisone so she prescribes me a 14-day taper regimen. For the two weeks after this I did fairly well, but as my prednisone lowered, I noticed more bumps trying to appear. Today I took the last of my prednisone (1/2 of a 10 mg pill) and I woke up to 3 fresh blisters at my right eye. Of course, I could not go to the doctor first thing this morning either because I happened to be subpoenaed for federal jury duty and you can’t miss that. (I swear, I can’t make this up!) When I was able to leave I called my doctor’s office to see about an appointment. My regular doctor is out of town and the nurse says she will leave a note for the other doctor (the one I saw first that diagnosed me with contact dermatitis). The nurse calls me back later and says the other doctor said I need to make an appointment with Dermatology. The waiting list for Dermatology is approximately 3 months. WHAT DO I DO???

I plan to call my regular doctor back when she returns and demand an appointment. (It will definitely be earlier than dermatology.) Here is where I need your help/advice:

1.Is this Shingles or possibly something else? I definitely feel the burning/tingling at eruption sites but is it unusual they would keep popping up like this or the fact that they have been around both eyes? I think the fact that the anti-virals worked so quickly seems to solidify it being Shingles but I just don’t know. If it isn’t Shingles, what could it be? I haven’t had a lot of pain which is a good thing.

2.What caused this? I am pretty healthy, so I don’t think I have a weakened immune system. I am only 44 years old. Did stress trigger it? I went to the dentist the week before this all started – is that related to the trigger?

3.Did the Prednisone just suppress my rash and it still needs to come out? Do I need more anti-virals?

4.How long will this last? I am starting my sixth week, and I am still having eruptions. Has that ever happened to anyone else?

5.When I finally see my doctor again, what do I need to say/demand they do for me? Since I don’t have definitive answers I’m googling everything and now I have somewhat convinced myself I have an even bigger issue than Shingles and this outbreak is just a result of the larger problem. I’m fully aware that doing this only adds to my stress which triggers shingles…see my problem?? LOL.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I just want to cry over all of this.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello

first you have to try and leave stress behind! Its hard when you have children! My nightmare started FEBRUARY 2018! I Get few bouts every 4-5 months on my scalp! I guess anywhere that shingles appears is terrible! Doctors dont believe you can get shingles more than once! Again, yes you can and everyone in this forum is the living proof! Also you can get it very young age! I dont know why doctors dont research this as more people are getting shingles more than once! When its on the scalp it takes longer to get better not cured!! PHN is also the second stage of shingles! I always have oain! I take my antivirals only when needed! I dont like to take more than I need to especially if I have this for the rest of my days! I am 65 years old abd I get mad at this horrible disease! But some people confuse me because they say you only get it once while others get the reoccurence!

I try not to stress and its difficult because we have family to worry about too

I am a healthy person and its this shingles that sets me back! Try not to be under the sun too

Doctors dont believe you get shingles more than once, but they do give the antivirals more than once! I wish there are more info on this!

Try the chamoline tea, I dont drink it put apply it over the area nice abd cold and it has helped me!

Hope you are feeling better and go to the eye doctor too!

BEST REGARDS,

Myrna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.