Please help me! I am in so much pain!

Posted , 7 users are following.

In late July 2016 I stepped out of my flip flop, didn't fall, but stretched my preaniois breavis tendon on my right foot (sure it's spelled wrong)! Since I walked differently with the pain I developed a neuroma under my second toe which is dissolving with the help of physical therapy! Here is my problem! Since I have walked differently due to this, I have overdone it and due to over compensation I am having issues with my left ankle. I have had two cortisone shots in the ankle over the last two weeks and they only give me relief for a day! The inside of my ankle swells when I'm at work. I can barley walk at the end of my shift. I am in pure hell and just want to cry. I have a copper compression sock on now and it's killing me! I'm going to try epson salt today and ice but please someone help me! I'm on ibprofen 600 and Percocet and nothing helps!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Amanda. Oh goodness how dreadful this is for you. I can't comment on your injury but I would recommend you ice both ankles as often as you possibly can followed by plenty of rest with ankles elevated and then followed by pain relief and your physio exercises 3 times each and every day. Yes it will be painful but you will get there I'm sure.

The icing and resting is the answer I'm think.

Sorry can't be more helpful. Keep us posted on your progress.

• Posted

I can't reply about your issues but i'm really sorry, I had the same pain and ended with a TAR - rest and ice is good advice - you may have to pester the doctors, I had to.

Hope you get it sorted - All the best. 

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I don't have the same injury, but I do have a cryotherapy machine which gives cooling and compression in a fast and effective way. Do you have access to one? I wish I got it sooner! I cannot believe how well it is working (I got Aircast brand after reading online reviews). I delayed getting it because of the cost ($200 Canadian or about $160 US for machine and ankle cuff). I told my physiotherapist I was VERY motivated to get walking again (trimalleolar fracture) and that is what she recomended so I bit the bullet and ordered it.

Do you now walk with a cane or crutch (even some of the time??) to avoid continued over compensation?

• Posted

Hi Amanda! I did something similar! Back in May I tripped out of my flip flop and fell on my left ankle,rolling it to the side and sprained it. After a month of PT I went to my routine physical and my primary noticed the swelling. ( I didn't have much pain but read in and you will know why! ) she referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon. After xrays and an MRI it was confirmed I needed the Brostrom ankle ligament reconstruction surgery with Arthrex implant. She said I wasn't in pain because I have hypermobility syndrome (double jointed) so things were just rolling around everywhere.

My advice. .really push for an MRI. I am 3 weeks post-op and right after my surgery the dr said when she went in, my ankle was worse than she ever imagined. Barely any ligaments left holding my ankle in place. The Arthrex implant is holding everything together and without that a simple repair would not be a permenant fix.

Surgery stinks. I won't sugar coat the recovery as I'm in the middle of it. But I have to say, being in my 30's chasing 3 kids around. .I'm glad it is getting fixed now and I didn't put it off and make it worse.

Good luck with whatever happens but don't wait too long if it's bothering you!

• Posted

You need a MRI to get your tendons checked, Stop Exercises now! And first talk about your problems with an orthopedic surgeon... really push for an MRI, But do not hurry for surgery too soon, NEVER. I would recommend you ice ankle. But sure you should visit an orthopedic surgeon.
  • Posted

Hi Amanda

I know your pain - have taken everything and nothing helps. Nights are the worst when you have pain. 

Push your GP for an MRI and referral to an orthopedist.  

I ice ice my ankle and also take Tylenol extra strength for the pain.

Keep us posted wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.