Please help me measure risk

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

Can anyone please give insight into either of these:

(1) cases when

Hsv1 was transmitted from vagina (host) to mouth via oral sex?

(2) The length of time it took for hsv 1 to appear on the penis after intercourse? 

Some background.. i have hsv 1, i had one outbreak in 2014 when my partner first transmitted to me. He and I had been having sex for 3-4 months unprotected before i had my first outbreak.

I am now dating someone new. We’ve had 2 sessions of oral (him going down on me) and 40 seconds of unprotected intercourse. We are trying to weigh the risks of likelihood that I transmitted something to him - either vagina to penis in that 40 seconds, or vagina to mouth in two sessions of oral. 

Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Herpes is tricky. Even one second can transmit the virus. 
    • Posted

Im sure this is true in some cases but I am looking for stats or peoples experiences to help qualify all of the different opinions I am hearing. For example, most websites I go to say that the rate of transmission is lower without an outbreak present.. but based on experiences that Im hearing on these forums, it is transmitted all the time, after a single interaction, regardless of whether theres an outbreak or not. If thats the reality, than why do health professionals and health information sources continue to state otherwise? Im just so confused and dont know what to believe. 
    • Posted

Actually i want to tell you that my dr told me to have unprotected sex in between outbreaks!!

But i dont follow his advice. I take suppressive therapy and i use condom and my girl is still ok. 

• Posted

You are so awesome for wearing protection and caring about your girl! smile what about oral? does she go down on you without protection? I have not yet heard a story of someone transferring genital to oral
    • Posted

Actually no oral sad

Im afraid i give it to her mouth 

• Posted

It is very tricky. There is so much information out there that it is hard to know what to believe. Please listen to your health professional, and if you don't think they are correct then seek a second opinion. Someone I had unprotected sex with many years ago told me afterwards that he had genital herpes a year or so prior. He then told me that my chances of having it are slim as he has not had an outbreak since and did not have an outbreak during intercourse. I went to my doctor and had a blood test (she thought I was crazy) and it was fine. I've never had an outbreak but I still live in fear that it's dormant - any sort of irritation in the area, like an itch or discomfort, I automatically assume it's herpes and go into panic mode. Going on this website doesn't help either, none of us are qualified doctors and what we say is all just opinions.

• Posted

If you are having an outbreak - even a very mild one, you would almost certainly pass it to your bf via oral sex. He would get cold sores from it. HSV1 loves lips.

Between outbreaks the risk is not zero but it's much much lower.

If you are vigilant about outbreaks and can spot/feel the warning signs of them starting you can have regular unprotected sex for years and not pass it on.

But you do have to be vigilant and avoid sex altogether if there is any doubt you have an outbreak.

I have HSV2 and have been taking this approach sucessfully for 18 months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.