PLEASE HELP ME. What is wrong with my eyes?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Honestly so desperate I can't even explain. I've been waking up for about 8 months with massively swollen eyes, eyelashes falling out, dryness and generally dull looking skin. I've seen two dermatologists who said potentially ezecma but all meds haven't seemed to make a difference, was told to apply topical steriod cream on eyelids but it doesn't help the swelling at all. Been to Opmalthologist and he said he doesn't 'think' its blepharitis but I'm synical. I've been using blephasol wipes and hot compress and nothings helped. Could it be hormones? I'm a 20 year old female, and going thorugh this has caused me a HUGE amount of stress and severe depression. I know this is probably making it worse but could this be the cause? Please, if anyone can give me any advice I will be so grateful. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There is a product I use here in the UK when I suspect I have an allergy to something, it's  called Eyelergy and I get it on amazon, it's for allergies which affect the eyes.  Sounds serious to me. Blepharitis is a condition of dry eyes whereby the eyes are not creating enough lubrication from the glands or tears, yours doesn't sound like bleph.  More like conjunctivitis.

• Posted

Ok thanks. But I've had it for over 7 months now, its not conjuntivitis becuase its been far to long and I've been very hygenic arund that area! 

• Posted

My daughter has blepharitis and it's quite easy to diagnose by an Optitions, so would say it isn't that if they've said so.

I'm thinking sounds more like an allergy- maybe try a few days make up free - see if they go down, or switching to more natural make up?

• Posted

Dear Molly, its bleph...probably due to eczema...which you say you have. Every morning do cold compress washcloths, separe for each eye to avoid cross contamination, then step into shower. Wash face with whatever gentle agent someone with ecze uses, then mix a drop of tea tree oil into a squirt and gently scrun eyelids with tightly closed eyes, follow with a few minures of warm water spray over eyes. THEN get your opthalmologist to prescribe AzaSite Ophthalmic solution and using clean hands let a drop from the inverted little bottle to fall onto your fingertip and rub it across your eyelid with closed eye then the same for other eye. Use eye soothing drops during the day, try to not tou h your eyes, if the itch or water add 20 ml of cetirizine hydrochloride (Zyrtec) to your day and do the tto mix again four or five hours later, as well as the AzaSite, and again before bed. I was left with eczema mask after a bad bout like you are describing and my dermo prescribed Tacrimus Ointment, which cleared it up. But before I decided to visit her I stu bornly decided I could clear it up on my own and started applying melted coconut oil to the affected areas. It helped a lot, but the Tacrolimus cleared up the rest quickly so I could stop going round with blurry vision as it sometimes bled into my eyes.

I am sorry you are going through this at such a young age, but urge you not to lose heart. Once your eyes feel normal again, and they will once you get a handle on the level of bacteria involved, do not stop adhereing to whatever daily routine you establish, or the bacteria will proliferate and the cycle will begin again. It is an expensive thing to get a handle on, but it will be worth it to recover your health. I know its a chronic condition, but take the time to read all the posts, though you should not implement too many things simultaneeouy as doing so can exacerbate symptoms and make the whole thing takeonger to clear up. I also take Omega3 supplements, but you're young so maybe that would not make a difference to your condition. TTO MIX helps lots of people, but do use a facial moisturizer as it will, over time, dry out your complexion.

Cold compressesz are important to get this swelling under control. Use Refresh eye drops or Systane all of their products have become standbys for me. AgIn, expensive, but worth it.

Good luck. I hope you post your progress.

Agnes

• Posted

Hi Molly, out of all the posts on this blepharitis forum your problem sounds like mine the most. I have had swelling since last summer, I possibly had it before last summer but only noticed it in summer. It's as though my skin under my eyes has thickened a little. It looks constantly swollen no matter what I do or how much sleep I get. There is nothing I have done differently to trigger this either.

Like you it made me extremely depressed, I actually left my job because I was so insecure, nobody likes getting told that they look tired right? I was literally at work talking to people looking down or to the side, I could not look into people's eyes! But yeah the last year was awful for me, I was literally at the doctor surgery every other week, getting referrals to a eye doctor, going to a optician etc, I was first told it was blepharitis so I joined here and started searching everything online about it for about 6 months. I asked for a second opinion and the next eye doctor told me i had no signs of blepharitis!

I have been going in circles constantly. But remember when we become insecure about something we become obssesed with it and it becomes more noticable to us than what it would be to another person. I have a dermatology appointment coming up soon. Although I hate going out because of this issue, I am sick of being home too. I really hope i can get this sorted.

For me, I'm a 22 year old male, so even if i try hiding it with make up I just would not know were to start! Anyway, I hope you the best and would love to hear how you get on

• Posted

Yes sounds so so similar to mine. It's awful isn't it, totally and utterly changed my life. I find it so hard to even raise my head in the street I feel so embarrassed sad

Let me know how your dermatologist appointment goes, I hope you get some answers.

• Posted

Dear Danka

Start taking Omega3 fish oil capsuls, 6,000, mg daily, mix a drop or two of tea tree oil in a squirt of baby shampoo and scrub , meaning rub gently across your tightly closed eyes, three times a day, upon waking, midday a d before bed, get an ophthalmologist to prescribe AzaSite, an antibacterial ophthalmic solution to apply a ross each eyelid with closed eyes, three times a day for the first week, then down to twice a day for uo to another two weeks to get control of the bacteria that has proliferated and made you so miserable.

You will get better, then be conscientious about daily maintenance to mi imize the severity of subsequent t outbreaks. Ask your dermatologist if an eczema ointment called Tarcrolimus to clear up possible leathery skin around your eyes that may develop is a good fit for your skin.

You are you g and out and about each day so you mY

I also take two ten ml tabs of ceterazine hydrochloride, an antihistamine, to control itchy and/or weepy eyes.

Carry around Ocusoft wipes to wash midday if you're not home.

Read everyone's story, each piece of advise has been posted to help all of us. It has helped me and I now, after eight mo ths with rhis condition, am beginning to feel I can get this under control and I would encourage you to be strong, be diligent and you too can prevail.

Best, Agnes (USA)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.